dreamweaver

IS there any DECENT free alternatives to dreamweaver ?

Reply to
London2013

Microsoft is dumping Expression stuff:

Expression Web 4 gives you the tools you need to produce high-quality, standards-based Web sites: built-in support for today?s Web standards, sophisticated CSS design capabilities, and visual diagnostic tools. Whether you work with PHP, HTML/XHTML, CSS, JavaScript, ASP.NET or ASP.NET AJAX, Expression Web makes it faster and easier to create and maintain exceptional web sites.

Please note: This free version of Expression Web is not eligible for Microsoft technical support and is community support. For more information, visit the Expression Community site.

Reply to
Richard

dried horse-shit. That's pretty equivalent.

What are you trying to do? win the prize for the most code to produce the least visible effect?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You get what you pay for.

There IS something worse than dreamweaver. FrontPage.

be some help

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Depends if you think Dreamweaver itself is decent to start with ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

on Windoz, Notepad :)

-
Reply to
Mark

the only free alternative last time I looked was komposer (kompozer?) but I found it more trouble to learn to use it than to learn to write a bit of html and css, and hey, this is the internet - if you don't want to pay for dreamweaver then get a pirate copy.

Really depends what you want to do. Not a lot of professionals write sites from scratch, it's all about templates and boilerplates and CMS and php.

So upload an opensource CMS, use a free theme, get the plugins for fancy galleries and contact forms, who needs dreamweaver? who needs to write html?

Tim w

Reply to
Tim W

Following Adobe's cockup of a few weeks back, the answer to that is probably Dreamweaver CS2 ;-)

Komposer is a fairly simple wysiwyg editor, sea monkey also includes one. There are plenty of html aware text editors as well.

Reply to
John Rumm

What cockup was that?

Reply to
polygonum

Andy Burns

Each to their own, but I have yet to find any web authoring packages that produce better results (without hand coding)

Dreamweaver produces relatively little code IME, its also smart enough to not fiddle with anything you insert manually - so round tripping code with embedded JSP or PHP etc is painless.

Reply to
John Rumm

They turned off the activation servers for the CS2 product line and as a result issued patched binaries with an activation key. Only later did it seem to occur to them that it might result in every man and his dog helping themselves. So they played web page hokey kokey for a bit, and then made it available again with a note saying this is only intended for users who bought it originally! ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

+1.
Reply to
Frank Erskine

I used to advocate Notepad but I have to be honest I'm now a devotee of Editpad Pro ;-)

And now for the sensible answer - if you'll actually using a lot of the Dreamweaver features the answer's "no", so it's either that or the new car I'm afraid.

Reply to
Chris Wilson

+1

I liked it so much over the years I've actually paid for it (several times!)

Reply to
Chris Wilson

Now certainly, but when it came out it was ground breaking ... and then it was bought by M$ :-(

Reply to
Chris Wilson

So what's the problem with Edlin?

Reply to
Graham.

Fascinating. :-)

I make (admittedly not extensive) use of Dreamweaver 8, which AIUI is what's in CS2, on my Windows 7 system and I don't have any problems with it at all, despite Adobe's strident warning.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

I usually buy every second incarnation as the incremental improvements from one to the next rarely justify the cost for my needs.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Yup sounds about right - my CS4 "help about" reports it as version 10

, on my Windows 7 system and I don't have any problems with

Yup I think that is part of the back pedalling - it works find on most versions of windows. The Mac versions however are a very different matter - it will fall about in a heap on OSX Snow Leopard.

Reply to
John Rumm