Draining heating system

I need to drain a heating system, or at least the top floor. Trouble is the pipework which is all under the floor raises about 6" out of the floor before going into the duct which takes it downstairs. So no amount of draining from downstairs is actually going to empty the upstairs pipework -- only the radiators.

Anyone got any ideas on emptying the pipework? I can cut into it under the floor (actually, the reason for draining it is to move towel rail connection to it, so I will be cutting it anyway). Obviously don't want it pouring through the ceiling below though, as it's literally just been decorated. Not sure if I can get any sizable container under it. Don't have a wet vac.

(Pleased to say that when I designed and installed my own heating system, I arranged that all the pipework slopes down to the drain points, specifically to avoid exactly this sort of situation.)

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Would it be feasible to feed a long length of narrow flexible tube (I'm thinking aquarium aerator-type) down a radiator tail as far as you can and syphon it out?

David

Reply to
Lobster

Use a self plumb kit for a washing machine, fit proper drain c*ck or good repair when done?

Reply to
James Salisbury

Get one! Really useful for all sorts of plumbing jobs apart from radiators. The Earlex is good, about £40 as a Wickes brand, or same price from Screwfix as an Earlex.

I wouldn't be without mine.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Beat me to it! Only use them a few times a year but SO useful. Typically when moving radiators, unblocking washing machine fluff filter, and emptying gullies.

Reply to
newshound

I have one too but use it a lot more than that - in *dry* mode it serves as an effective conventional vaccuum cleaner (or had you forgotten that?!) I use mine for h/d DIY stuff so the normal household cleaber just gets the lighter stuff.

David

Reply to
Lobster

I've only ever used mine for wet pick up, but I'm off to Wickes first thing to buy the combination filter. Found an adaptor whilst clearing out the workshop that connects the vac perfectly to my circular saw!

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I think you'll find that a good bit of the water will syphon out of the upstairs pipework especially if you can get the downstairs drain c*ck fully open.

To remove the last bit you need to find a container than fits under the pipe and which you can remove and keep level (much harder). A small nick where you will cut the pipe with a junior hacksaw should make a a controllable means of draining the dregs, hopefully the sum total will be less than a bucket full.

If you have a length of sparky tape you should be able to close the hole temporarily to empty the bucket if needed.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

As another poster has said, most of the water should syphon if you open a lower drain point. A method that's worked for me to clear the remainder of water in such a pipe section is to then cut the pipe somewhere above and blow down the pipe with a bicycle pump. I cut an older inner tube about 10cm either side of the valve. I fixed one end of the tube over the pipe with a jubilee clip and tied a knot in the other end of the tube. I used the track pump style of pump, as this can move a lot of air with one pump operation. I was rewarded with a jet of water out of the lower drain point.

Mike

Reply to
jones_michael_groups

What a clever idea! Brilliant!