Double glazing - Temp effects

Was discussing DG with a friend and he said he didn't like the reflected distortions in windows and blamed it on the plastic frames. I am pretty sure it is down to the expansion and contraction of the air between the panes making the glass bulge out or in. I feel sure I am correct - but wondered if glass can ever get over stressed and break due to this.

Reply to
John

We have recently had some new windows fitted and some of our windows suffer from this and others not. I queried it with the window manufacturer and apparently it is because of the moisture between the glass when they are sealed. The silica gel stuff at the bottom of the window takes the moisture and somehow causes a slightly lower pressure between the panes. Anyway apparently, the solution is to remove the pane of glass, drill a very small hole in the seal between the glass panes and the air will equalise. Seal the hole and problem fixed. Am waiting for the summer/ drier weather for him to come back and do it for me...

Reply to
Lee Nowell