Dormobiles

Normally "public places" are defined as places such as shopping centre car parks to which the general public have open access. Camp sites are private land that is not open to the general public and do not fall under this definition.

Reply to
Steve Walker

I think the distinction would be whether the road was a public right of way or not - unadopted roads are still open to public use ... they are just not maintained by the council.

Reply to
Steve Walker

have a wee drinkette

Jim GM4DHJ ...

Yet probably won't if you tucked up in a sleeping bag in the back seat of your car! It's a crazy mess.

Reply to
Steve Walker

That seems to me a rather bold statement given the many judgments which have been rather more nuanced - including at least one which involved a caravan sites.

Reply to
Robin

Believe it or not my son drove a car in his sleep.

Many, many moons ago he was driving around Europe in our Citroen XM and they'd ended up late one night with nowhere to stay, so they reclined the seats, wrapped themselves in sleeping bags and settled down.

Friend woke up, car was moving, at first he thought my son had just woken and decided to go but he still had the sleeping bag wrapped round him. A few brisk shouts and shakes sorted things and fortunately nothing bad happened. :-)

Reply to
Chris Green

Makes a change from sleep walking.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

Quite.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Yet the US is the third worst in the world for fatalities caused by drunk driving. Beaten by South Africa (top) and Canada. UK about half the rate of the US.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

I'm wondering about the new rules for mobile phones. You can no longer select from a playlist and a few other actions but what if it is only being used for google maps aka satnav ?.

Reply to
Andrew

It's public access rather than "right of way" that matters. In the Road Traffic Act 1988 "road" is defined to mean "any highway and any other road to which the public has access, and includes bridges over which a road passes".

Reply to
Robin

Making the bed up in my van causes the driving seat to be rotated so it would be impossible to drive.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

I think it's 'public place' now.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

I understand it is still ok so long as it is in a cradle and not being hand held:

John Rumm

Top tips - thanks.

Reply to
RJH

Okay, but that does not change whether a road is private or just unadopted.

Reply to
Steve Walker

Correct. The law now covers any hand-held use, whereas before it only covered use for communication, so hand-held use for Sat-Nav, Playlists, Camera, etc. were okay - although you could still be done for driving without due care and attention or not being fully in control of your vehicle.

Reply to
Steve Walker