Door Frame Measurement

Would somebody mind checking the frame dimensions of this please:

Given the profile, what do I need to add to my door dimensions (1952mm x 762mm) to give an overall frame size? I'd have thought add 35mm to each side and top, and 45mm for the cill. But in aswer to my query they say

45mm to all sides.

Confused.

Reply to
RJH

What size id Sir thinking of buying?

Reply to
Chris Bacon

It's clear from the drawings shown on the page you cited that the sides are 45mm wide into the rebate and the cill is 45mm high under the door. So it's fair to assume that the top is 45mm too - especially since that's what they say.

That said, the door would be a tight fit in the frame with no clearance to allow it to open and close. You need to ask the suppliers about that but my guess would be about 3mm all round, making 48mm in all. On that basis the o/a size of the frame would be door height + 96 x door width x 96.

Reply to
Roger Mills

I read it as 35mm from the wall to the weather-strip rebate

Reply to
Andy Burns

I'm afraid your post didn't show on my server Roger.

Yes, that's my reading of it.

The top has the same profile as the sides - not the cill, which is different (obviously!).

Reply to
RJH

Maybe they want an allowance of 10mm top and sides to allow for packers/wedges from the rough-opening?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Well, I just spoke with them. Still don't understand! They said it's not the easiest drawing to interpret, but basically I was reading it upside down, and it's that bottom 45mm dimension that'll determine the distance from door to wall.

Not that this makes a huge difference. The opening measurement is only what I can see (the old frame/trim door etc is still there) so is a minimum, and at worst I can trim the door down 1cm at each side.

Reply to
RJH

If you add the top view of the closed door to that diagram, are you assuming the door would be landscape or portrait.

I'm assuming landscape. That way, the longer dimension of the frame fits into the brickwork aperture. And that way, there's 45mm of frame between the edge of the door and the brickwork.

The other alternative seems totally wrong: a) what are the channels in the frame for? b) The sides of the door would each be covered by 45mm of frame - greatly reducing the door aperture c) Most of the raw edges of the door would stick out beyond the frame

Do you disagree?

Reply to
Roger Mills

Gotcha, thanks. I consider myself misdirected by the seal - and being poor at visualising things like this.

I've no idea!

Nope, spot on.

Reply to
RJH

Yes, I was assuming the door would press against the tongue, rather than wipe past it.

Similar to anti-cupping grooves on decking boards?

Reply to
Andy Burns