domestic wiring paranoia

One thing to watch is that if you are using metal boxes, that you do not get a wire trapped under screw when you screw on faceplate ... SWHBO had removed screw to pull fittings away from wall for painting, and pinched a neutral wire on screwing back up ... it was weeks later we started getting spurious rccd trips ...... it took a concerted effort and many many hours to trace the fault ... which was arcing on Neutral to box ... presumably only when ring under high load (and hence high neutral imbalance.)

I told he to be more careful in future, and if she didn't improve I wouldn't let her go up on roof to point the chimney.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

In message , Rick Hughes writes

I wish my wife WOULD do that, she manages to paint sockets, light switches, telephone points and just about everything else attached to the wall when she gets the painting bug.

Sounds fair to me :-)

Reply to
Bill

Maybe, but tinning was never the answer. Solder exhibits a mechanical property called "cold flow". If you tin the end of a wire and then trap the tinned wire in a compression terminal, the solder will flow away from the pressure points and the joint will become loose. Copper does not exhibit this effect.

This equally applies to power and low voltage (data) wiring.

HTH DaveyOz.

Reply to
Dave Osborne

ARWadsworth presented the following explanation :

I would suggest a good waggle to make sure they are well seated, then a final tighten.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Dave Osborne presented the following explanation :

Exactly, Never tin!

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

It's in the regs now, that ends should not be soldered if retained by a screw.

Reply to
Stewith

Stewith wibbled on Wednesday 27 January 2010 21:35

And "they" (engineers in general) knew of this issue decades ago - first thing my Dad did if he saw a tinned wire on an appliance was chop it off before he put the plug on.

I went to the trouble to get some ferrules (uninsulated) in various sizes and a crimp tool to deal with this. Not expensive if you shop around and Rapid have a good range of ferrules.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Use deep backboxes.

35mm for sockets, 25mm for lights (35mm if a dimmer).

Use large oval. Cable pulled off a reel retains a curve albeit of much larger radius, when pushed through oval people tend to kink this curve out resulting in a zig-zag down oval. Either use large oval to accommodate this or always fit two runs of oval even to light drops (permits loop-in- switch, neutral present, rather than loop-in ceiling-rose). Capping is the work of the devil if you need to replace the cable (sods law says it can be difficult, always use oval behind tiles just re time/risk of removing/refitting a few).

Use 25mm round if multiple cables.

20mm round is good for a few cables, but nothing beats 25mm if you have the space. Use a holepunch to enlarge 20mm holes where necessary to take 25mm - particularly larger MK Grid.

Preform your cables. Sheath terminates inside the box, sweep insulated cores around the bottom & back up to the L-N-E terminal positions, then bend them outwards ready to enter the terminals. Fiddly with 1G (use 47mm if 3 cables), easy with 2G (35mm ample for most situations with 2.5mm). When entering terminals verify conductors have not stacked, particularly if there are 3 because one will pop out. Obsessives align the L-CPC-N of the cable to match the wiring accessory when dropping down the oval so no crossing over and neat. Obsessives will get everything preformed, fit, push back, pull out to check nothing pulled out, retighten, push back again.

Check the backbox is shaped right, holes ok. Some fused connection units (spur) are quite wide bodied inside and any "dented-in" box can cause the lugs to obstruct fitting. Quite a few backboxes have poor/spinning earth terminals or 1-thread/stripped lug terminals. Some like to bend unused lugs back (pliers) if several cables as it prevents insulation getting nicked.

Double insulate the cores. It can arouse suspicions but in tight 1G boxes or grid it can be worth sleeving bl/br the existing conductors with flexible but tight fitting sleeves. If you do snag with a screw the sleeve takes the hit and not the insulation.

Do not overtighten on 1.0/1.5mm FTE CPC. The 1mm CPC is easily flattened such that light flexion will cause a break (typically as you push it backwards). Likewise small conductors can miss on terminals and slip-sideways past the screw so become loose. For these small conductors loop them so there is a double- contact area which will permit sound tightening without crushing.

Plaster is a lot stronger than you think. If you ever think you may need to access a block of cables, to replace one or add one, make provision for it re trunking or flexible/rigid conduit stopping short at corners with capping to cover.

Corner protection of cables. During decoration people often run a knife down a wall corner, a fresh sharp blade can go deep into plaster so if you can't get the depth stick some broken oval or plastic L-angle into the corner. Most trades do not know the 150mm rule.

Conduit between boxes. In a room you may do double vertical drops to sockets etc, but also put horizontal conduit links in where the wall is flat. You may never need to add another wiring accessory, but it means if you do it is just a case of slicing through and inserting a backbox accordingly.

Basically preform your wires so the conductors simply fall into the wiring accessory - rather than dragging a rats nest of cables around which are much more likely to get snagged by the cover screws.

I did once try cutting plastic sheet slightly longer than a backbox height and snapping it into place so it bowed out past the lug terminals - no cable could ever be snagged. Instead I simply use low depth screws, and form cables away from the screws. Double insulating is worth doing, it does prevent lug terminals or screws damaging the insulation.

Reply to
js.b1