Domestic windmills put to bed.

=93The energy required to make a solarpanel is much bigger than the energy it=92ll deliver.=94

False. The energy yield ratio (the ratio of energy delivered by a system over its lifetime, to the energy required to make it) of a roof- mounted, grid-connected solar system in Central Northern Europe is 4, for a system with a lifetime of 20 years [RichardsandWatt,2007]; and more than 7 in a sunnier spot such as Australia. (An energy yield ratio bigger than one means that a system was A Good Thing, energy- wise.) Wind turbines with a lifetime of 20 years have an energy yield ratio of 80.

B.S. Richards and M.E. Watt. Permanently dispelling a myth of photovoltaics via the adoption of a new net energy indicator. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 11:162172, 2007. URL

Certainly is! I'm printing and binding three copies of it. Even at over a kilopage, that's a good use of the paper.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

In the same way that tapwater is fluoridated to give people mottly teeth ^W^W^W^W reduce dental decay, perhaps alcopops and cheap cider should have contraception added.

I jsut don't understand where teenagers get the time do get up to shenanigans. Don't they have homework?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Nah - it's fluoridated to cause thyroid disease and gum problems. :-)

But I like your idea. Just make sure that proper drinks aren't adulterated in this way, please.

Reply to
Rod

So you think this is just silly 'leftish' thinking? The *right* are the ones who think 'law and order' can solve everything.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Does that stack up with having the grant removed because wind turbines don't work? If one set of figures is dubious what about the rest?

Maybe the figures for the solar panel are the absolute best and you need to add weekly windows cleaning to the cost? I don't recall seeing the figures for a dirty panel.

Reply to
dennis

Don't see why it should be. They'll have a fixed shaft going up inside it, and a bearing at the top and bottom of the rotating part.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Wind turbines on urban roofs work about as well as solar panels under trees. They're a dumb idea, no-one with a clue would install them in that way. None of that prevents government policy encouraging it.

To confuse the concept with some particular instances of it is the sort of dumb response that you rarely rise above.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Have you seen the reduction in dental caries (decay), post widespread use of fluoride toothpastes? This isn't to say that fluoridising tapwater is necessary too, but the reduction is impressive.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I wasn't speaking in the limited context of domestic windmills, but since you ask, I suspect the answer is "non-existant".

In 28 days, it probably didn't manage even 100 revs.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

The concept that a dirty solar panel is a problem went over your head I take it.

Reply to
dennis

I am shagging a teenager (my bit on the side). She left school 12 months ago and has no homework to do. She has a full time job.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadworth

And if the UK could grow poppies and coca in enough volume drugs would probably be made legal.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadworth

Fine if you can get it I suppose!

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Anyone with a pair of eyes can see it in the population. Young people and by that I mean younger than about mid thirties have excellent teeth. Older and you start to see decay and fillings. I'm 48 and only have a few teeth that are not filled.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

not any more. They've been out lawnordered by elfinsafety.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

well got plenty of opium poppies in the garden. Never tried doing anything with em.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You lucky, lucky git.

Reply to
Huge

He's just a cheapskate and can't afford a real pro.

Reply to
dennis

joking right? ever watched 'Trisha'?

Reply to