Domestic flood defenses

Article in Guardian moots lower insurance premiums for those installing flood defences. Question is what type of flood defences would be most effective. Blocking widows air vents and doors, yes, but how would one deal with a rise in the water table?

Reply to
fred

to have a range of suggestions. No doubt there are other vendors.

Reply to
Graham Harrison

Surely it's better for the environment to have one scheme protecting

1,000 houses than 1,000 schemes protecting 1,000 houses ?

Clearly the planet can't be that much at risk if we can piss away carbon on this sort of nonsense.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Or save money on flood defences by not building in inappropriate places!

Reply to
alan_m

You say 'surely', as if it were obvious, but I don't think it is. A metal plate that slides into a housing will protect your front door and cost maybe £30. Repeat that around the house, and you can probably do a decent job for a couple of hundred pounds.

Of course, you also have to drive your car to higher ground, so it's less convenient than protecting the whole area.

Really, we shouldn't be building on flood plains, but we do.

Reply to
GB

I wouldn't call Bridgenorth a flood plain

Reply to
charles

Now you're just being silly.

Although the standard of new builds these days are quite flood friendly - I assume they just wash away when the water flows ....

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Or by dredging. Bill

Reply to
williamwright

If you mean Bridgnorth, do you mean high town or low town?

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

In insurance speak, this likely means not increasing your premiums quite so much if you spend far more than any likely savings in that.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

When in Shropshire my Sat Nav failed to find Bridgenorth :)

He cannot mean high town with that climb :) Any land that is relatively flat next to a river is likely to have been a flood plain and even with flood defences still likely to be so. Who builds houses close to a river that is known to rise by 15+ feet during heavy rain.

Reply to
alan_m

In message snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net>, alan_m snipped-for-privacy@admac.myzen.co.uk> writes

Not quite as simple as that.

Developer builds properties in a safe area, so no flood prevention work needed.

Later, (possibly decades later) a developer builds properties some distance away, in a place that was acting as part of the natural flood defence by soaking up excess rainfall, then releasing it slowly. That rainfall now has nowhere to go, and the previously safe development now gets flooded. Which set of buildings were built in the inappropriate place, the first or second set ?

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

Also any downstairs drains inside the house where water might come up of course. Maybe we all need to have floating homes? Well since they built on so many flood plains it seems to me that this is where the issue lies. In very old times there was a reason for flood plains. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

The answer is of course that flood plain builds should be bunded, but the problem there is where will the water now go? further downstream...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Or accept that a flood plain will in fact flood once every 30 years and build the houses higher out of the ground - say on piles - and let cars get parked underneath...

Thus saving all that on road parking

can build elevated roadways to service them out of soil dug out to make a communal lake for soakaway purposes.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Is a bund round 1000 homes, their gardens, and all the streets likely to be cheaper than protecting the weak points in 1000 individual houses?

Reply to
GB

Sounds like communism to me.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Probably.

Its just a few days with a big digger or three

If you are digging out foundations, and a communal soakaway. you simply pile the spoil up as a shallow sloped wall. In fact people may pay you to absorb subsoil from other building projects. I ended up building up low bits of my garden when I built the new house and pond.

Plant it with willow and alder and grass and it will be a nice feature in no time

I lived on the Fens where flooding is an every year event...polders exist that are essentially bunded, and the water allowed to flood those, then they are pumped out later on. Cattle are allowed to graze them in summer.

No one builds on them though except te stupid people who put a station car park on one.

In East Anglia we *have* to deal with water management, so we do. And we don't get floods in habitable parts.

I used to live 6 feet *below* the river Cam/Ouse.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Communism would simply ban all media reporting of any natural (or man-made) event that caused harm/expense, so no-one would hear about it apart from word-of-mouth.

Reply to
Andrew

I witnessed new houses being built on 'boggy' ground and wondered at the sense of it. (Land was cheap I suppose) Of course the new houses flooded within a short period of time, Before they were even sold and whilst the estate was still being developed. So they constructed a bund. It wasn't big enough and in short order the houses got flooded again. They then had to go further up back stream and build an enormous bunded area controlled by gates to allow them control the flow. Cheap sites my eye.

Reply to
fred