Does it matter to widen the distance of oven heater ends?

Hi, My electric oven does not work anymore. It is found that the heater must be replaced. I purchase a heater element in nearby store. The problem is that the two ends of the new element are separated than the original one. Can I use tools to shape the two ends, i.e. to widen their distance to about 1cm in order to install it? I worry about the damage may incure. The second question is that anything to avoid electric shock relating to the installment. What measures should check after the replacement? Although I can repair normal applicance, I am still concern the safety issure involved. Thanks.

Reply to
fl

Sounds like you've got the wrong element. Did you take the old one with you when you bought the new one? I've always found them a straight swap. I'd be surprised if fitters were expected to bend them to fit.

Have a look here and see if anything there looks like your old one.

may find this site helpful.

Tim Downie

If the proposed bending is spread over the element length, no worry. If it consists of bending the last inch at 90 degrees, no :)

L&N to E resistance, should be o/c

Its on a fuse or MCB, the metal case is earthed with a chunky wire. Its actually safer than most plug-in appliances shock-wise.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I thought he was referring to precautions he should take whilst working on the oven, which is a bit worrying really.

Reply to
Graham.

well... I hope not :)

NT