Dodgy light circuit

Went to visit my daughter in her newly-rented abode today; "while you're here Dad could you change the light bulb" - this being one on a very high ceiling.

She'd found the bulb in her room dead when she moved in; put a new CFL in and it apparently blew within a few days. I replaced that today, and found the replacement to be buzzing quite loudly, with a very discernable flicker.

Tried a second CFL with similar results; tried one of them in her bedside light (ie ring main) in the same room and it was perfectly fine. Next thing we know, the new CFL in the ceiling rose has blown, after about 5-10 mins use.

Evidently there's something wrong with the wiring, and I've told her to contact her landlord about it (am especially concerned as the light switch is a metal one). But I'm curious, what sort of fault could possibly cause symptoms like these? It really didn't seem like a 'loose connection' issue - the flickering/buzzing was absolutely constant - more like the voltage was too high or something? But that couldn't happen, could it?

This is a standard residential property; wiring looks not too modern but certainly not death-trap-old. No reports of anything similar elsewhere in the house.

Thanks David

Reply to
Lobster

Not a dimmer switch I presume, CFLs hate those (I knew that really, but the other day the only incandescent light in the house 'went', I wanted to make sure it was just the bulb, so briefly put in a CFL as I don't have any spare incandescents, and it flickered and buzzed quite nastily).

Reply to
Andy Burns

Ah - excellent, I've just contacted her, and that's exactly the problem!

I was indeed aware you can't use CFLs with dimmers; daughter was working the lightswitch while I was up the step ladder so I never actually saw the switch: had I done so the penny would no doubt have dropped.

Many thanks David

Reply to
Lobster

dimmable CFLs do exist, but cost a lot more.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I bought two, both have a hum that varies with brightness, and their colour changes with brightness too, one died quickly, even as a pro-CFL person, I wouldn't recommend them ... well not the ones with integral dimmer anyway.

Reply to
Andy Burns

: >

: > Not a dimmer switch I presume, CFLs hate those (I knew that really, but : > the other day the only incandescent light in the house 'went', I wanted : > to make sure it was just the bulb, so briefly put in a CFL as I don't : > have any spare incandescents, and it flickered and buzzed quite nastily). : : Ah - excellent, I've just contacted her, and that's exactly the problem! : : I was indeed aware you can't use CFLs with dimmers; daughter was working : the lightswitch while I was up the step ladder so I never actually saw : the switch: had I done so the penny would no doubt have dropped. :

Tell her to get proper light bulbs, with half decent shades the fact that they are non pearl won't be that noticeable.

Reply to
Jerry

The ones for regular dimmers are always too low power for the cheap dimmers to work (most dimmers have a 40W min rating).

You can get ones which have about 3 power ratings and run from a normal switch. Select power by switching off and on again quickly. I have one which I tried and didn't like, but I can't now recall what the issue was.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

The ones I have cycle continously through from dim to bright and back again when you toggle them on-off-on.

While looking for a replacement for my soft-white 4" globe 100W (none found in shops, a few still available on line) I notice that Osram have renamed their halogens to "EcoClassic"

Reply to
Andy Burns