Do I need my trench inspected??

Hi

It occurs to me that I might need to get someone official to look down a hole I have dug. The trench is about 1m deep , 8m long and goes down the side of my house through a part of the house which will be demolished. That is, it's inside at the moment, but will be outside eventually. I had planned to lay a mde water supply pipe in 60mm blue rigid conduit throughout the entire length of this trench. The conduit rises ~750mm from what will be an outside wall, so I plan to insulate the pipe in there. I then planned to back fill the trench with sand/pea shingle and the stuff I dug out to a depth of about 500mm and similarly lay a 32mm black conduit with draw string to take my new electricity supply. Then I plan to back fill to a depth of about 200mm and lay electrical warning tape. The electricity supply will come into the house pretty close to the water (in a utility room).

I'm doing this because I've been told to prepare for my new electricity supply by Central Networks. I figured I might as well use the trench for my water supply, and it's extremely difficult to dig two trenches through doorways. Upon exiting the building, the trench will have to split as the electricity must go in a straight line, and the water has to wander off to the meter. I would like to leave both conduits ready for supply connection as and when they happen. I would also dearly like to backfill so I can get to my fridge.

Do I need to get any of this inspected? If I do, and the water inspector comes after the electricity is connected, I'm going to be in a right muddle!

LGF

Reply to
legrandfromage

Is this project in France, as your email address suggests, despite you posting to a uk newsgroup? It might have jsut a *little* influence on the answer to your question...

David

Reply to
Lobster

He said in an earlier post that he's not in France.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Bonjour

I'm a Central Networks and Thames Water customer. Sorry for the confusion generated by my email address, it's a lazy way of avoiding spam. Though I would like to retire there one day.... Merci et au revior

LGF

Reply to
legrandfromage

Ah, OK. Never heard of Central Networks but think I might have sussed "Thames Water"!

David

Reply to
Lobster

Bonjour. I'm an Electricite de France customer :-)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Normally they like to be able to see the trench before you backfill .. there are 2 ways of doing this ... phone and ask for a trench inspection .. usually be there next day. Or backfill ... placing in a piece of vertical 100mm pipe at around 1/3 and

2/3 along trench .. that way when they come to inspect they can see conduit or pipe and measure it's at correct depth.

Then once inspected you pull out that bit of pipe and fill in the hole.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Hughes