Do I evict the squirrel?

_I_ would.
--
Frank Erskine

In my book vermin are vermin, but out of respect I'll hold of on the mice and shovel follow-up story.
--
fred
FIVE TV's superbright logo - not the DOG's, it's bollocks

I'm sure we've done this to death before but who decides what is vermin and what isn't? Isn't just a selfish "it conveniences me"? In my book anyone who causes unnecessary pain, suffering or death to another creature is "vermin".

Hear hear.
--
Frank Erskine

On Tue, 14 Jun 2011 07:20:29 BST, Bob Martin wrote:

the
To some extent it's laid down in law but not very well. A very quick google finds this Hansard entry:
8 Oct 2003 : Column WA60 Vermin
Lord Selsdon asked Her Majesty's Government:
Which mammals and other animals are classified as "vermin".[HL4559]
Lord Whitty: There is no definition of the term "vermin" in UK law. In such a situation the Oxford Dictionary definition should be applied.
The Oxford Dictionary defines "vermin" as "Animals of a noxious or objectionable kind. Originally applied to reptiles, stealthy, or slinky animals, and various wild beasts; now, excluding in US and Australia, almost entirely restricted to those animals or birds which prey upon preserved game . . ."
The Small Ground Vermin Traps Order 1958 and the various Spring Traps Approval Orders, refer to "small ground vermin". Neither the orders nor the Pests Act 1954, under which they are made, define this term or provide an exclusive list of species. However, the following animals are listed under various orders: moles, grey squirrels, rabbits, mink, stoats, weasels, rabbits, rats, and mice.
Traps approved under the Spring Traps Approval Order 1995 do not apply to small ground vermin listed in Schedules 5 and 6 to the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981. This means that red squirrels, dormice, water voles, shrews, hedgehogs, polecats and a number of other species are excluded.

You are a vegan? 'cause you can't be sure that the animals used for the production of meat or diary products have never suffered. Or is that "necessary"?
--
Cheers
Dave.

squirrel fur journal anyone? ;)
I'm toying with the idea of annexing off the loft and creating a 'box' for the fella, as was suggested earlier in this thread and I also considered at the outset, so it was nice to know that 'another' had the same musings and rendered me sane, at least partially :)
I have heard from a friend who ended up exterminating a treerat in his loft after attempts to gently remove it nearly ended up with him being facially disfigured... a chainsaw mask and welders gloves seem sensible when faced with a cornered squirrel, on all fours, in a tight space
:)
--
What else are opposable thumbs for? Get to me at
masterfixbtinternetcom

Why not wait until it is busy elsewhere before barricading the access?
As others have said, you really need to check for dependant offspring.
regards
--
Tim Lamb

Yeah, that makes sense. I was going to probe around with a long batten while my son watched the exit point for the bugger to vacate... then up into the loft to check for babies and then, while he's out, put in the box or cap off the soffits to keep him out... still pondering how much time to spend in cramped loft :) Especially if there are no little ones and he can relocate in these warmer months.
FWIW: I remember someone telling me (when I first discussed the cable chewing incident in the pub) that using LowSmoke cable discourages rodents from eating through it because it doesn't use the same kind of oils used in its production as normal cable insulation, which they like to chomp on.
A quick google to quantify this doesn't return much and the other theory is that they use the cable as a "teething ring". Especially the young 'uns which would explain why only the length of cable, between the joists, in front of the nest was stripped!?
Google did however, also throw up this... http://squirrelsatemywiring.com / which makes me a little happier about my own small problem and less inclined to exterminate the sod!

How can anyone be a vegan when such things as bacon sandwiches exist?
--
Adam

Or muslim for that matter, one such chum has confessed that it is a weakness of his.
--
fred
FIVE TV's superbright logo - not the DOG's, it's bollocks

There is no such thing as a vegan (only people that think they are vegans).. look at the stuff made from animal stuff and ask how they can avoid it..
tallow in fabric softeners rules out any shop bought cloths. cattle hooves in fire fighting foam rules out air transport of anything they use (like computer bits to read this post). and that's just the start. end of veganism in the UK.

I agree. Vegans are either stupid, students or hippies. Or a combination of that list.
--
Adam

I guess people whose livelihood is/was affected by the activities of other creatures. Now that we mostly live remotely from any aspect of food production other views can flourish.

Umm.. I suppose mice sharing your breakfast cereals or Squirrels potentially destroying the cables in the loft can be a personal choice. However, when it comes to producing and storing food I'm happy with the current rules.

OK on unnecessary pain/suffering but death? How many ants do you unwittingly kill crossing your lawn? Do you stop eating rice because of the creatures killed in production?
regards
--
Tim Lamb

Start with destruction of crops or property and move on from there.

Oh, boo hoo, you're not a bad person for accidentally killing those squirrels and who said anything about causing intentional or unnecessary suffering?
--
fred
FIVE TV's superbright logo - not the DOG's, it's bollocks

Who decides what is neccessary or unneccessary?
MBQ
Bob Martin wrote:

The species which best fits the label is the human being. "We're a virus with shoes, okay? That's all we are" Bill Hicks, RIP

Yes, I would. I kept pet white rats when I was at school.
On Sun, 12 Jun 2011 11:44:28 +0000, Dean Heighington wrote:

Get some chavvy squirrels to move in right next door to him and thusly make his life so intolerable that he moves all by himself? Then shoot the chavvy squirrels for the low-life waster scum that they are, and feel good that you've done the squirrel world a favour.
cheers
Jules

Heh heh... On a bit of a low ebb at the moment... Maybe cos I turned 40 last week, but some of the responses to this thread have given me reason to have a good chuckle - much to the wife's disdain, during what should be a sombre period in our lives!
She's giving me that "what do I have to laugh about look"