Do crystal radios still pick anything up?

The BBC transmitted at least one experimental broadcast of stereo, using the Home Service and Third Programme for the left and right channels. According to the BBC Genome website it might have been in

1958. I built two crystal sets in series, using germanium diodes, feeding my left and right high-impedance ex-WD headphones. The aerial was strung across the room in south London.

One item was of a theatre musical chorus, which sounded truly wonderful.

Reply to
Dave W

Don't remember that. Those I do remember used TV sound for one channel. IIRC on a Saturday morning when there were no broadcasts on TV - only the test card.

To use two radio services meant disrupting them both.

I did try the 'TV' ones. But with a TV and radio - with obviously very different speakers etc. They played quite a large selection of material.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

and Lisle Street before that.

Reply to
charles

In article , Dave Plowman (News) writes

I remember that! There was a broadcast of Shakespeare's 'The Tempest' - very effective sound effects.

Reply to
Chris Holford

3-34 Lisle Street! They occupied almost the entire length of it, IIRC.
Reply to
Chris Hogg

Actually, memory deceives, it was two separate shops!

Reply to
Chris Hogg

There were some at each end of the street as well as one in the middle on the north side. And then the chinese took over.

Reply to
charles

The radio+TV broadcasts were in 1962, and I didn't have a TV.

Reply to
Dave W

nor did I, but the FM tuner that I'd built to a PW design could tune down to Band 1 if I inserted an iron dust slug in one of the coils. It can't have been a very good tuner since it managed the AM on Band 1.

Reply to
charles

I too built an FM tuner that could get TV sound - it might have been the same one as yours as PW was my regular buy. However the sound from the speaker was so different from the radio headphones, I didn't think it would be worth trying the stereo experiments. I was so impressed with the radio experiment that it was just a question of waiting for proper stereo broadcasts.

Reply to
Dave W

In article , Chris Hogg scribeth thus

Did you have to publish that!. Spent all afternoon reading it all through!.

Remember most all of those suppliers, a teenage childhood of sending off postal orders and stamped addressed envelopes, and the excitement when the package for the latest project turned up:!.

Reply to
tony sayer

Charles, do you remember which one that was at all, valve or transistor?.

I remember one i think it had a pulse count detector used IIRC AF117's and or 118's in the front end and was supposed to be a very good performer, never did get the damm thing to work checked it and re checked tested all the transistors. I wish i had it around still, years on better test equipment and know how etc?.

Often wondered if it could have worked!, anyone know where the circuit is at all? must have been around 1966 to 68 or even a bit later.

Reply to
tony sayer

Valve. Using an ex-government IF strip.

[Snip]

Mine must have been about 1958/9.

Reply to
charles

In article , charles scribeth thus

Ah!, a very early FM tuner then. That government surplus IF strip what was it originally for surely not FM broadcast radio?.

Reply to
tony sayer

Of course not. I think it came from a Radar unit.

Reply to
charles