Do condensing boilers need more maintenance?

I've had conflicting reports about this - and so I'm here to consult the experts! When considering combi boilers, do condensing boilers need more or less maintenance?

Reply to
Chris

Older UK designs of condensing boiler were frequently done by adding a secondary heat exchanger to an existing product. The problem was that the condensate, which is mildly acidic, would tend to corrode the metal parts. Added to this, some control systems on these left something to be desired.

The UK was quite a way behind much of continental Europe in regard to condensing boiler technology, and they have been in use in Germany and Holland for 15 years at least, with most manufacturers on their 4th generation of product.

From April just gone, it has been a legal requirement (part L1 of Building Regulations) to fit a condensing boiler (new build or replacement) unless there are specific installation issues (defined in a document on

So in that sense, you won't have a choice unless you can achieve enough exemption points according to the regulation. It is quite hard to do this.

Given that situation, it is best to go for a good quality condensing boiler from a German manufacturer or to a German design.

Among these are Vaillant, Worcester Bosch, Viessmann, MAN and a range of prices.

Things to look for:

-Heat exchanger of stainless steel (or a specific aluminium for the job)

- Down firing or radial burner, not upfiring.

- Condensate carrying components suitable - typically plastic.

Most manufacturers will recommend annual maintenance and that is prudent anyway.

More recent designs of non-condensing boiler have been very similar to condensing products in that they have similar controls and most other components similar apart from condensate arrangements.

As long as you buy a good product as detailed, there is nothing to suggest that there is any less reliability with a condensing product.

Reply to
Andy Hall

I have had my oil condensing boiler for 11 years and apart from an annual maintenance I have had no problems. My boiler was manufactured in Germany Blair

Reply to
Blair