DIY wet/dry vortex vacuum

Has anyone tried or successfully made a vortex type dust collector from let's say an old wet/dry large volume type vacuum for the usual workshop debris sawdust, stone dust etc?

So many dead Dysons at the tip I was wondering if one or more of the cones could be utilised or is it simply a matter of making a cone to fit the size of the container used? I presume there's some sort of formula for optimal collector/cone dimensions relative to air volume passed?

Still using my old DC02 for w/shop duties but it fills up too quickly and often blocks when fitted to power plane etc.

Cheers Pete

Reply to
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

Yup, here are a few:

So many dead Dysons at the tip I was wondering if one or more of the

Just stick a pre-collector in front of it to take out the large stuff, and leave it to cope with the fines.

Reply to
John Rumm

Thankyou most kindly John.

Reply to
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

Guess which one I made ;-))

to make, very effective. I use an old Vax machine. Filters are washable so no major hassle. In the new year I may experiment a bit with some variations based on the other websites. Would love to reduce the amount of fine dust getting to the filter.

Next step is to 'plumb' in a set of take off points around the shed. One will be set up to the bandsaw permanently, two others will be flexi so I can hookup router, chop saw, jigsaw or sander as required.

Reply to
johno

In message , johno writes

Use smooth bored piping rather than corrugated flex. I think it was Phil who pointed out there are huge suction losses caused by such pipes. Static electricity is said to be an issue in dust control pipework.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

For the take off points I will be using solvent welded inch and a half waste pipe and connectors, so no issue there. For the flexi part to the machines, well that is a bit trickier. Will be probably using very short lengths of corrugated flexi. When I use it as a floor cleaner, then corrugated flexi is really my only option at the moment. Would like to get hold of some flexible smooth bore tube of a suitable diameter, but financial limitations mean this is not a high priority. Sadly things like mortgage and bills are more important!

Reply to
johno

How will you shut off the unused take-offs?

Smoother bore tube is available from the various dust control outlets but is much more expensive:-(

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Cork stoppers! nothing complex. I have some large bungs that came from a brewery ;-) hic, burp, washamatterwithafewpintsofbeerforlunchossifer?

Reply to
johno

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Waste pipe has stop ends...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Very true, at a price. My way costs me nothing :-)))

Reply to
johno

Had not actually given blast gates much thought, they would be ideal of course. Trying to think of a nice, easy/simple to make gate. Most DIY ideas I have seen are for 6" dia pipework, mine will only be inch and a half, no heavy machinery in my shed!. Any ideas? :-) John

Reply to
johno

In message , johno writes

Mine are commercial 4" jobs; machined out of ally castings and bolted together. The *gate* being a steel slide.

You might take a 1 +1/2" coupler and fit a swivelling disc on a rod (carburettor choke mechanism)?

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Just done some Googling, plenty of plans and ideas about, I like the swivelling disc idea, very neat. Thanks

Reply to
johno