DIY rocketry ... and Darwin awards

Yeah, those of us who bothered to look it up know this. The Swiss geezer noticed that some fluffy airborne seeds stuck to certain things. Looked under the microscope to see why, and the rest is history.

Reply to
Tim Streater

If you're a Hunter S Thompson fan Barstow sort of rings a bell.

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

Bollocks.

"In 1961, Gary Pittman and Bob Biard from Texas Instruments found that that gallium-arsenide diode emits infrared light every time it is connected to current. The same year they received patent for infrared LED. Nick Holonyak Jr., employed in General Electric, developed in 1962 first light-emitting diode that emitted light in the visible part of the frequency range. It was a red LED. In 1972, M. George Craford, who was a graduate student of Holonyak, invented the first yellow LED and a brighter red LED. Thomas P. Pearsall developed high brightness light-emitting diode in 1976, for use with fiber optics in telecommunications. Shuji Nakamura of Nichia Corporation made first blue LED in 1979 but it was too expensive for commercial use until 1994. Light emitting diodes can now be made in one or in more colors."

At first Light-emitting diodes were very expensive, some US$200 per piece. Because of that, they were used as indicators only in highly professional laboratory equipment. Fairchild Semiconductors succeeded in

1970s to reduce cost of individual LED to 5 cents by using planar process in production of semiconductor chips for light emitting diodes. By using innovative methods of packaging and a planar process of chip production, Fairchild made LED into a commercial product with variety of uses.
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I've been to Barstow.

It rather feels like you are on the moon already

The Natural Philosopher

Two problems with that theory. First, ICBM development was not secret, so could be financed through the normal military budget. Second, the order is wrong - NASA used existing ICBMs as the basis for its space rockets.

You need to think of really secret projects, like the SR-71 Blackbird, Project Pluto or some of the CIA operations in Vietnam and Laos.

Reply to
nightjar

Like schools [1] sometimes do?

BTW thanks for posting your link. I would never have seen it and it made me laugh. And I really needed a laugh.

[1] I would say that is better than my school that said the water going down a plug hole spins clockwise in the Northern hemisphere. When I questioned is as my parents bathroom sink and bath ran in different ways I was told that it did not work on sinks...
Reply to
ARW

I remembered that (not in detail) just after I posted. Yes, pretty good. We had to make do with radar.

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

But doesn?t explain how they managed to get the fake radio transmissions into the tracking stations in Australia and fool those manning those that they were coming in through the dish in Parkes etc which was currently pointing at the moon.

Reply to
jon lopgel

Oh. I don't believe the moon landings were faked,. Hard to fake on that scale.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

If you had one really, really good teacher in your entire time at school, you should regard yourself as fortunate.

Reply to
GB

I did. My O level geography teacher and my A level Maths teacher were outstanding.

He was not outstanding IMHO for his geography lessons (a piss easy O level subject to pass IMHO) but for his after school activities. I was in the school chess team he ran and we used to get some outstanding results against much bigger schools. He used to take us to the pub after a match and buy us half a pint.

Reply to
ARW

In primary school we had a very good teacher for maths - I'm not sure how many other primary schools were measuring heights of local buildings with a theodolite!

At 'O'- level we had an excellent physics teacher (extremely strict, but good at keeping your attention and interest, while also clearly getting the point over). Admittedly he was teaching the top set, but even so, for his whole class to get grade A back in the mid-80s (before rampant grade inflation) was an achievement. Unfortunately he was not rota'd to teach A-level the following year and the teacher we got just droned on in a monotone - switching physics from being my favourite subject to being 80 minutes at a time of counting the seagulls on the football pitch :(

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

I do wonder their motives. There is usually a bigger picture behind such investment.

Going back to telescopes:

Fredxx

There's me thinking it was Henry Joseph Round who saw yellow light from carborundum in 1907?

Fredxx

That was an interesting link.

Reply to
harry

Apparently, on take-off his main parachute snagged on the launch ramp and was damaged, then his emergency chute failed to open.

Reply to
Andrew

But he didn't make an LED he discovered the effect which was the point. Electroluminesence was used in the Apollo but they weren't LEDs' designed for space which was the original claim made. That early light was far to dim to be of any use.

Reply to
whisky-dave