DIY rocketry ... and Darwin awards

He could have done this safer in a balloon. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

On an earlier attempt (or trial of some sort), he did indeed have a parachute. And used it.

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

Mine had a Ouija board.

Reply to
ARW

They will hit the ceiling before they do that.

Reply to
nightjar

NASA is a big conspiracy to disguise the spending on US government secret projects.

Reply to
nightjar

You may jest. How else could they justify the cost of developing rocket engines to launch ICBMs.

The best one was when they put a telescope in space and called it Hubble. There were some very good reasons why it was short sighted.

Reply to
Fredxx

but, it gave us the LED

Reply to
charles

And non-stick frying pans!

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Ah, you mean so it could read the headlines on Putin's copy of Pravda, when he sat on his balcony. And then later, NASA gave it replacement lenses just like I got with my cataract treatment, so it could read the newspapers of the LGM on distant planets.

Mmmm, yes.

Reply to
Tim Streater

You may scoff, but how else could the cost of $1.5b for the design be justified.

Reply to
Fredxx

Have they issued a new version that complies with 18th Regs?

Reply to
GB

Cheaper than the LHC, and not that different from LIGO.

Reply to
John Rumm

government

Biro

Velcro(?)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Invented by László Bíró in 1931.

Swiss electrical engineer George de Mestral in the 50s.

A bit before NASA existed.

Reply to
Tim Streater

No, not the biro:

In 1941, the Bíró brothers and a friend, Juan Jorge Meyne, fled Germany and moved to Argentina, where they formed "Bíró Pens of Argentina" and filed a new patent in 1943.

Not even the Fisher Space Pen.

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

I was actually in the BBC studio doing the the UK side of it for broadcast. We had direct feeds from NASA throughout, of course much of it never used. It would have taken the most enormous amount of work to fake all of that.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Not a hoax, but NASA clearly had extra-terrestrial technological help in arranging some sort of meeting on the Moon. The big clue is there for all to see, the alien greeting 'Gnorts' being all the Astronauts could learn of their language.

And that clue? 'Gnorts, Mr Alien'. Read it backwards.

Reply to
Clive Arthur

Nah non stick was 1938 the first coating, but non stick pans existed 3000 years ago.

Velcro effect is the way some ants use to walk along, so those hooks and eyes came from nature.

The first LED was 1927 so not exactly connected to space.

Reply to
whisky-dave

the LED as we know it was the answer to a NASA specification: an indicator that would stand up to the G forces on launch.

Reply to
charles

But not used , they weren;t ready and not very usuable they used nixi and floureescant displays alone with standard filement.

Reply to
whisky-dave