DIY piano moving

Anyone have any advice or tips for moving a babu grand piano 120 miles. I have ause of atrailer - about 9 x 4.

1 take the egs off? 2 transport it on its side - which side 3 umm

I looked on the HSS tool hire site but they don't have paino trolleys for hire.

Thank you,

Neil

Reply to
Niel A. Farrow

Awwwwwwww! you've stolen my thunder!

Seriously, don't DIY.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

SWIPBA*1 has a piano, it's an upright and looks pretty old to my eyes. Made in London, and by W Barron & Co, Ltd.

A number of possible scenarios await this over grown cheese cutter in nice enough wooden cabinet.

One of which is to dispose of it. Where on earth does one start with that?

Can it be worth anything? I was wondering about emptying the box and making it more interesting for life in the modern world, like maybe a domestic internet station for downstairs and visitors. LCD screen in middle of upper panel and keyboard where the erm,... keyboard is! ;O)

[1] is probably best avoided

Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}

Reply to
Gnube

Play light music on it for 24 hours. It'll then be easier to move.

Rob Graham

Reply to
robgraham

naf> Anyone have any advice or tips for moving a babu grand piano 120 naf> miles.

You need a fat bloke and a thin bloke both with bowler hats.

Reply to
Richard Caley

I remember a long time ago that there was a competition - either on TV or at a fete, can't remember now - where teams were given a challenge to see who could fit a piano through a letterbox, or some other smallish opening. I think there may have been a charity element to the challenge.

Thus a bit of fun can be had with something like a piano that is beyond its useful life. You end up with a pile of small bits which are then easy to dispose of.

PoP

Reply to
PoP

Or two tea-drinking chimpanzees. "Dad, dad, do you know the pianner's on me foot?"...

Reply to
Tim Mitchell

Just don't try smashing a piano unless all the strings have been slackened off first -- the force across a piano frame is very large and presents a serious hazard if you are just going to lay into the thing with a hammer or similar...

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

"PoP" wrote | Gnube wrote: | >One of which is to dispose of it. Where on earth does one start with | >that? | I remember a long time ago that there was a competition - either on TV | or at a fete, can't remember now - where teams were given a challenge | to see who could fit a piano through a letterbox, or some other | smallish opening. I think there may have been a charity element to the | challenge. | Thus a bit of fun can be had with something like a piano that is | beyond its useful life. You end up with a pile of small bits which are | then easy to dispose of.

It would be more fun to make it a condition that the team can reassemble the piano afterwards into a playable condition.

Perhaps a catflap rather than a letterbox would make it a little more reasonable.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

you 'um it son ... I'll play it.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Nelson

Well, not an expert in such matters, but is it playable? If it has a metal frame then it may be possible to tune it properly and therefore it could be worth something.

If it's a wooden framed model then perhaps it won't have retained much musical value, so unless it's a collectable name (Broadwood et al) then it's value is probably negligable.

You may get some nice, well seasoned wood out of it for projects if you decide to break it up...

cheers Richard

-- Richard Sampson

RichardS

In article , Nick Nelson writes

Ahh, they don't make them like that any more.

Reply to
Tim Mitchell

In article , Martin Angove writes

As one is likely to damage the piano, oneself or both, I'd concur unless the foreman was called Frederick and was given to using the exclamation, "Right!"...

On the other hand, a smashed piano is likely to suit one's neighbours.

Reply to
Paul C. Dickie

Thanks for the idea, but I reckon the wood is worth having and by the time it fitted through a letter box, it wouldn't be!

I wonder how one gets at and rid of the wires and metal frame bit? The piano wire itself should be usable assuming that is literally what the strings are (?)

Actually, are they? Is Piano Wire an accurate name? Or is it a wishful thinking legendary urban myth type name?)

What will unwind the tension from them to unstring such a beast - which end do you start - low notes or high notes? Middle?

Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}

Reply to
Gnube

Definitely. Some hefty bits of timber in a piano, though they are probably only a close grained softwood rather than anything exotic.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

The eponymous Fred was Fred Dibnah, a feller of chimneys who favoured the use of burning tyres and pallets, because no-one would trust the cack-handed pillock with anything more hazardous than a bonfire night sparkler.

Not a good role model.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Does not really sound like our sort of thing to be honest, we're not that posh! ;O)

;O)

Oh how awful, I expect!? ;O)

Well it's iron by the looks of it.

Now what?

Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}

Reply to
Gnube

There was also a late-70s - 1980ish remake of this, with Fed Dibnah references. I didn't know there was an earlier original version.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

That's true :-(

Even with an upright ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

You're making me - and probably many of us - feel very old :-(

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher