DIY piano moving

In message , Andrew Gabriel writes

You think that someone like me has never tried such a thing?

The frame cracked with the first sledgehammer blow - the strings just slackened themselves off as the lump of cast iron relocated itself by a few cm.

As long as you're not standing on top of the strings, or in the line of fire, where can a lump of cast iron actually go when it's attached to almost 200 strong strings?

What IS dangerous is the long screws - they can make a nasty hole in your foot of you happen top be wearing flip flops when you walk on one which is pointing upwards

Reply to
geoff

In message , RichardS writes

Talking DIY here (of course) Tuning a piano isn't difficult, tuning it well is a little harder. You have to slightly overtune each peg and it relaxes back. You should find the average tuning and tune around that, trying to overtension the strings to bring it up to concert pitch is liable to stress the frame and it will take a long time to settle down. Where you have groups of three strings, if you tune them all to the exact same pitch, you'll end up with a very dead tone, and then there's the even tempered scale ...

It's a challenge though, if you have a bit of patience - a bit like plastering a wall

More important is the state of the soundboard and whether it's cracked or not

It burns well

Reply to
geoff

In message , robgraham writes

Why not a moving tune

Reply to
geoff

In article , Mary Fisher writes

There's a terrible joke that's probably even older than anyone on this ng: Why is a woman like a piano?

Reply to
Peter Twydell

It can fire fragments sideways. This wouldn't stop me doing it, but I'd watch for chunks and not stand in front.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I think I would stand in front, ie have the piano wires between me and the frame.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

No, you'd lie the piano down on it's back wouldn't you and hit it from (what would have been) above wouldn't you

Reply to
geoff