DIY numpty seek paint advice

Having watched one of the DIY programmes on TV, the one with the two guys from the £1,000,000 property experiment, which isn't the £1,000,000 property experiment, they tarted up a tired kitchen with cream stainwood paint. I figured that's a solution that'd work for us.

Our kitchen units are solid pine, but are over 20 years old and really do look their age now, but in a charmless way. I figure a quick sand-down and a coat of the right paint could really rejuvenate them, and it's a lot cheaper than new units (new doors aren't an option on account of the unusual sizes of our units).

Would anybody advise me against it? Is it likely to end in tears? Which is the right paint to use in a kitchen environment - ie Something that won't discolour or accumulate grease?

TIA

Andy

Reply to
Andy

============================================ I wouldn't let bill & ben in my House for all the tea in China. Best paint for Kitchen enviro in my op is Eggshell paint the Lustre Magnolia looks really stunning on my Kitchen units.

Plus it's washable Grouch

Reply to
Grouch

You can also get paint specifically designed for kitchen cupboard doors. I don't know if it is really just marked up standard Eggshell etc.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

What is Eggshell paint anyway?

David

Reply to
David Hearn

?H3ED52577Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

=================================== Hard wearing, Tough,

Reply to
Grouch

In message , Andy writes

No.

No.

I used Dulux Satinwood to paint our old melamine kitchen cupboard doors about 5-6 years ago, it's held up well. There is the odd chip on the corner of course, but it's stood up to the wear and tear of kitchen use, washing and cleaning etc. well.

Though they say you can paint directly onto a primed surface, I still prefer ti use an undercoat as well.

Reply to
chris French

In message , Christian McArdle writes

Reply to
chris French

It should work, but I'm puzzled by your description: it is elementary to clean and varnish pine, resulting in it looking good for a good 30 years. What went wrong? Did someone use tinted lacquer?

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

Weird. To get to it conventionally, click on:

  2. Decoraters & Contractors
  3. Products (top left)
  4. Dulux Trade
  5. Decorative Finishes
  6. Eggshell.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Well my daughter just painted most of her flat's woodwork in white eggeshell and it sanything but durable. Seems to take days to dry properly too.. Dunno what make though.

Reply to
BillV

I thought eggshell and matt went on the walls generally, and satin and gloss went on the wood? Could be wrong though, cos I've never used eggshell (matt and satin, me).

Velvet

Reply to
Velvet

Yer common or garden eggshell trade paint is generally oil-based and behaves much the same as gloss.

You can use it on walls, and it has excellent moisture resistance properties and a wipe-clean surface, so would be good for bathrooms. Having said that, I wouldn't like to try and remove it....

Normally it is used for painting woodwork giving a low-lustre finish. Satinwood is pretty much the same thing, (perhaps slightly higher lustre), and some maintain that it is exactly the same, but eggshell is pushed down the trade lines and satin marketed in the diy arena.

I like it, and use it for all our woodwork. My experience is that it is hard wearing and easily applied, IF it is put on in a couple of thin coats (as gloss shoudl be anyway). It doesn't need undercoating (I used to u/c everything, but changed that habit following talks with my missus's ex-brother-in-law, our resident family pro decorator), which saves at least one application, and if the wood is properly prepared and in a good state then it can really show the detail in mouldings to good effect.

It also works really well on large areas of painted furniture, e.g. MDF built in units. Lay on with a foam gloss roller, and brush out gently with a good quality brush, looks like factory-finished stuff.

My preference of brand is Leyland or Johnstones trade - much, much, much cheaper than Dulux trade.

For the OP's question, I'd reckon it's ideal for kitchen cabinets, apply with roller as described above.

Some friends have painted their kitchen using a Farrow and Ball colour - "bone" - and the results look really good.

-- Richard Sampson

RichardS

Where did you get the word numpty from? ... I thought only my wife used it... when referring to me! :-)

Reply to
Brad

I don't know. I don't use it regularly, but it's been in my vocab since my youth. :-)

Andy

Reply to
Andy

Jusr wondering.. where did you get the word numpty from?

I thought I was the only one called a "numpty" (by my wife) :-)

Brad

Reply to
Brad

[snip]

You had any DIY done in your house. :o))))))

Reply to
Grouch

Please don't top post.

It's widely used on Pistonheads

Huge

Ask Terry Wogan on radio 2 I've heard him use it many times

Reply to
Trevor Smith