DIY near misses

No. the mutation is resistant to ALL antibiotics bar a couple of old and pretty useless ones.

We may need it. Or perhaps really, the death of 40% of the world population is what we really need?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In article , Grimly Curmudgeon scribeth thus

Was demolishing /clearing out my old dads shed and using a sledgehammer which almost "walloped" a case of railway detonators which he "borrowed" when he worked on the railways;!!

A very nice man from Railtrack collected them..

Reply to
tony sayer

In article , fred writes

Ok, it's later:

  1. Aged 6 (or so) Grandad is fixing the vacuum cleaner which it turns out has blown the fuse. While he nips to the kitchen for a new fuse I 'help' by pushing the bare terminaled plug into the socket.
  2. Aged 12ish Old set of fairy lights are acting up, a shitty old set of series connected 6V lamps running directly off the mains. Loads of dodgy bulbs and a few wires hanging off. With my incomplete adolescent knowledge of electricity I think, "Hey, 6V, who can that hurt". In attempting to hold loose wires onto bulb holders in both hands, the chain goes open circuit and I get 240V hand to hand across the chest. Apparently I then danced about a bit before falling backwards, disconnecting the terminals that had stuck to my fingers.

Anyone remember Hill Street Blues? Let's be careful out there :-)

Reply to
fred

story.

Agreed the media aren't hyping it up a great deal, if anything they are playing it down and not without reason.

Not sure that is quite right.

The NDM-1 emzyme that these bacteria produce conveys resistance to the carbapenem antibiotics, these are the "last line of defence". The big worry is that the gene that codes for the emzyme is easy to transfer from bacteria to bacteria and that it will find it's way into one of the existing multi-resistant bacterial strains that are out there. You then have a bug that is multi-resistant including the last line of defence carbapenems.

is a Daily Mail story as well but they mix up genes with emzymes and have bugs within bugs.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Remember the drama series Danger UXB many years back? ISTR that quite frequently the episode would cover some strange form of explosive device, and it would generate a number of calls from the public when they suddenly realised that the WWII keepsake they had knocking about in a draw was actually an anti personnel mine or similar. Shame they have not repeated that...

Reply to
John Rumm

I have a 1917 3" brass shell casing on the mantlepiece which I'm told my grandfather brought back with him, and polished up as a varse. I believe this was very common at the time and they were referred to as "trench art". It is obviously empty though.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

At around age 2 or 3 (I barely remember the incident), I pushed a plug partly into a socket and then touched the pins and got a shock. That's many years before the semi-insulated pins.

I was well into electricty by age 8 or 9, and thinking back I'm very pleased my dad encouraged this, but slightly amazed he let me play with mains at that time. One of my pocket money purchases was a 4 way socket block, which was about the time they first appeared. It came from "Shop on the Bridge" (Milne) in Reading, and it was crap quality. I had got used to aligning the plug pins with the socket, and then thumping the plug a few times to make it go in. On one occasion, the back fell off a plug between the second and third thumps, and my first smashed down on the live parts. I had a mark from that for years, but I can't see it now.

Another incident I recall was playing with neon indicator lamps, probably about same age as above (and I recall using the 4-way socket block). A couple running off mains through dropper resistors. I leant on the wiring and accidently shorted out one of the resistors. The neon exploded, and most of the glass embedded itself in the wall, which taught me what an unballasted discharge lamp could do.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

BTW, you can only be electrocuted once, and you can't talk about it afterwards....

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

The first rule of electrocution is that you don't talk about electrocution?

:o)

(Yes, yes, I know...)

Reply to
Huge

Did he also wrap your sandwiches in a road map? ;)

Reply to
Leighton Buzzard

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember snipped-for-privacy@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) saying something like:

In Glasgow Central Station there was a small WW1 monument which was built from a central 15" shell (complete, but without explosives), surrounded by smaller calibre shells. All nicely polished up and kept clean over the decades by station staff. It disappeared years ago, into storage, but I don't know if it's been brought back out since I last was there. There were similar monuments up and down the country.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Not actually true, you can die and be resuscitated.

Reply to
dennis

In article , dennis@home scribeth thus

Raising the dead now Dennis added to your list of Skills?.

Better hurry up and tell the Pope, I'm sure he'd like to know about that you might put him out of a job, so perhaps best not eh;?...

Reply to
tony sayer

I always found it odd when my (paramedic) daughter used the phrase "I got him back" when refering to saving a cardiac arrest patient. They are apparently trained to consider the patient 'dead'. Its a way of coping I guess. If someone is 'dead' you can't blame yourself if you can't save him, if you do 'get him back' its a bonus.

Somewhat gruesome, but they are also trained to ignore damage to ribs whilst doing CPR, on the grounds that if they "get him back" the ribs can be sorted afterwards. She has mentioned hearing & feeling bones breaking on elderly patients.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

That was a great series. Just looked - 1979!

They don't make drama like that nowadays thee knows.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Same in our family: except ours is just the bottom one inch of the shell, and is therefore an ashtray rather than a vase!

David

Reply to
Lobster

See, I always knew smoking was dangerous...

David

Reply to
Lobster

And no doubt she is as irritated as my medic-SWMBO is by TV dramas where it's almost guaranteed that application of paddles to chest will result in a successful resussitation in 99% of attempts, whereas the reality is that in the majority of cases it doesn't work...

...and you hope you aren't working on an American tourist who, if your attempts are successful, will promptly sue you for the injuries caused :-(

David

Reply to
Lobster

Would you please show me how that is done with you as the subject?

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Or might help keep the current incumbent in position for longer than would be possible with animatronics

Owain

Reply to
Owain