DIY domestic electric vehicle charging point?

I suspect they mean Arizona-scale 'hot', not Bournemouth.

Most EVs have active battery cooling so they can manage battery temperature. If it's hooked up to a charger I expect it to do that. If it's not on a charger I don't know whether it will expend some juice to cool the battery while parked, maybe there is a setting for that. In Arizona when it's 40+C ambient every day in the summer, cars can get up to 70C in the sun. That's the sort of thing that's not good for batteries - getting them up to 40C isn't a problem.

Heat makes it worse, but they do still have EVs in Arizona and they last well enough.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

SWMBO destroyed the battery in her TomTom when parked in Surrey. I had said take the unit indoors, but she 'forgot'.

Reply to
charles

AIUI, that's why some dashcams use supercaps instead of batteries, they know they'll get left and cooked.

Reply to
Andy Burns

My loft is over 40C at the moment. Any dark-coloured car is going to get very hot. At the moment my (metallic dark grey) car has an old sheet over it, held in place with some nifty alloy clips that Range sell, in a range of sizes. Keeps the inside much cooler.

Reply to
Andrew

I do realise that

Undoubtedly.