What is it called? (An Anti-convection Air Tube?)

I am thinking about constructing a tube to suck hot air from near the
ceiling of a high-ceiling room and reintroduce it and mix it with the
colder air at floor level. I have seen these things at work in other
buildings but I do not know what they are called.
I would like to read a bit more about them and find out if any
improvements from mixing hot air into the cold are worth the effort
but I am stuck by not knowing a suitable search term.
Any suggestions. please?
Nick
Reply to
Nick Odell
Air recirculation. It tends to arise in domestic air heating systems.
Reply to
harry
That would do the same job but more conspicuously. The tube I have described in my reply to Harry just sits quetly in the corner of the room and the airflow is no more than from a quiet desktop computer.
Nick
Reply to
Nick Odell
Thanks but that is a more sophisticated system than I have in mind.
The thing I am thinking of is nothing more than an open-ended vertical tube mounted against a wall - one in a school where I used to work was rectangular section and simply looked like a covering for pipes or cables.
At one end of the tube is a fan - like a desktop computer fan - and it sucks the hot air in at the top and blows it out at the bottom to even out the temperature through the room.
Nick
Reply to
Nick Odell
On Mon, 3 Aug 2020 12:54:30 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gowanhill.com wrote:
That is the thing! Thanks for that! And the link takes me somewhere I can do some calculations to see if it will be worthwhile.
Thanks again,
Nick
Reply to
Nick Odell
That is exactly the sort of thing I had in mind. Probably done before redecorating the room so I can paper/paint/blend it in some way so that it does not look like PVC guttering on the inside wall :-)
Nick
Reply to
Nick Odell
Easy enough to put some UV C lights in the tube. The airflow will cool the lights and the lights will disinfect the air.
Owain
Reply to
spuorgelgoog
It is not supposed to be like a Henry vacuum cleaner on blow: it is a very gentle displacement of the air with the volume of the room being turned over roughly 2-4 times an hour.
Nick
Reply to
Nick Odell
The UVC would be contained in the air duct.

My point is not that this would be a practical application for the OP; merely refuting the comment that air duct is necessarily a Covid "distribution system".
Owain
Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Site Timeline Threads