DIY dentistry... sticking a loose crown back in ?

According to personal experience, Moscow is very expensive, Oslo less so but still up there. Poland is considerably cheaper than much of former western Europe although there are already signs that that won't last forever.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Last time I visited my GP.

Reply to
<me9

I'm from a slightly earlier era but still had my milk teeth when the sugar ration ended, I suspect my mum overdid the sugar after this as she wanted the best for us, herself not realising the restricted diet she thought of as being inadequate was probably more healthy.

Yes it paid dentists to fill unnecessarily, we had a big migration of antipodean dentists during the 60s and they worked the piecework system to perfection, the technique of "trench" filling speeded up the process of accumulating a wad to retire early on.

AJH

Reply to
AJH

I found out too late that large fillings are a bad idea. It's best to have gold inlays; they're cheaper in the long run. Only have a crown done if it's not feasable to have an inlay. Some dentists are incapable of doing white (non amalgam) fillings. The curing process required seems to be beyond their skill.

Sylvain.

Reply to
Sylvain VAN DER WALDE

My last NHS dentist made an apalling job of cleaning my teeth. This led to bleeding gums. My _good_ private dentist made a good job of handling this. I was sent to a dental hospital, and had a dental hygienist make a thorough job of cleaning them (teeth and gums). You just wouldn't believe the large amount of tartar that came out the first time.

Sylvain.

Reply to
Sylvain VAN DER WALDE

Some damn Indian doctor did some fillings (a long time ago) without giving me any injections. No doubt, he was charging the NHS for them. :(

Sylvain.

Reply to
Sylvain VAN DER WALDE

I noticed from being about 15 (1962) onwards that a large tooth never received a small filling. Reading up in a medical library it seams it was accepted practice at the time to cut out all the fissures on the biting surface of back teeth once *any* decay had started. As they fail around the edges they have to be replaced with bigger fillings. Eventually there's little more than the 4 corners left, which break off under biting forces.

Restoration is still possible with screws and pins etc but all in all there's less and less tooth material to protect the pulp which sooner or later gets infected. That's what happened to my back teeth.

I was always of the impression that aneasthetics for fillings was really there for the benefit of the dentist as much as the patient. IE he could cut cavities faster with aneasthetics than without, if he was working up to the pain barrier of the patient.

DG

Reply to
Derek ^

I wasn't too pleased to see a new elevated price list in the middle of my treatment. With the benefit of hindsight ISTM unethical to increase prices substantially when treatment is half completed. I was never given a costed treatment plan which I believe is regarded as good practise nowadays.

The regulated professions are the worst, hence the attempts under this gov. for the trade associations of the manual trades to get their work to be (more + more) regulated.

Dunno about it being *The worst*, but it definitely rates !

DG

Reply to
Derek ^

I've been in Wales for a week so haven't kept up with topics but this one grabbed me because a few weeks ago a crown came loose - after many years and the first one ever. It's summer vacs so I couldn't contact the Institute but have wondered about Superglue.

However (not a word I use lightly or often) I'm very encouraged by the above tips. It's comforting to have such informed opinion.

Thanks, Eric.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Derek ^ saying something like:

Be fair, it's not cheap to run a light aircraft and his flying is important to him. Some 20 years ago - and for all I know it's the same now - the greatest group by far of pupils in flying schools were dentists.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

These days an inlay or crown can be made up on the spot with a 'CEREC

3D' machine.

The ceramic is supposed to have the same coefficient of expansion as the underlying tooth, and the machine allows the right gap for the bonding resin (this might be the OP's problem).

Loads of info on Google, my dentist has it:

Expensive but for me worth the extra money IMHO.

My general advice on dentists...:

At the end of the day, dentistry is a business (even on the NHS), it's wise to shop around to get the best value and service for your needs.

Also it can be best to get a second (or third?) opinion before spending a lot of money or getting something drastic done.

By spending time learning about dental care and treatment, finding the right dentist should be a lot easier.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C