DIY cockup

You haven't yet told us why.

Reply to
David

I'm sometimes amazed at how many people have a strong awareness of their own perceived superiority.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

On Monday, November 17, 2014 8:19:28 AM UTC, ARW wrote: i.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title=File:Avaulted7.jpg

That has to be DIY save of the year :-)

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

If they want it to have a vaulted ceiling then some wire ties to replace the wood they have hacked out would be easy to fit and sould look better than bolting some 4x2 timbers back.

Reply to
dennis

or make a structural truss to hide behind the plastic triangle of the window. Use that to support a beefed up ridge beam that could be inserted under the existing ridge, and hung from a metal shoe bolted to the wall at the other end.

Reply to
John Rumm

Good job it wasn't snowing. Saying that it looks like some migratory H5 carriers would have flattened that if they had visited.

Reply to
thescullster

Do you have an (approx) width of the rear extension, and the deflection of the wall in mm?

A structural engineer I know would be interested in this.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

The rear extension is about 3m wide. Now the joiner who helped with the acro's (the one who built the internal studding) says that the tops of the wall were both about 20mm out (ie both 20mm out) but the RHS wall (facing from the outside) was not plumb when he built the internal studding and that the LH wall had moved further. The LH wall had a crack appear at floor level.

This picture of the LH wall shows (to the best of my ability) how the top and rear of that wall splayed out more than the rest of the wall.

ARW

At what stage do you say "Sod this", step well away, and await (or help along) the inevitable?

Reply to
Adrian

*Before* it falls on his head? At least so far...

;-)

Reply to
Adam Funk

That is a remarkable example of prime stupidity.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon