DIY Accoya

I just happened upon a product called Accoya. Seems to be (basically) a way of preserving timber by treating it with acetic anhydride. (Yes - noticed on the Grand Designs Live site.)

Must say, the claims are quite impressive. E.g. potential 50+ year life as a window frame. Set me thinking, would it be possible to do anything like this myself? I doubt I'd want to be dealing with acetic anhydride (and re-drying it after use might not be easy) - so any ideas? I guess blagging some non-brewed condiment from the chippy and soaking some wood in that isn't likely to be sufficient.

Reply to
Rod

Acetic Anhydride is DANGEROUS STUFF! I have encountered it in a process plant environment and its behaviour in the presence of moisture could be explosive to say the least!

Reply to
cynic

Perhaps I wasn't strong enough in my comment? "I doubt I'd want to be dealing with acetic anhydride" should perhaps be "maybe it's this side of hydrofluoric aicd, but I DON'T want to deal with acetic anhydride (even if I could get hold of it)".

Anyway - point well taken.

Reply to
Rod