Distributing satellite TV around the house

TNP in grumpy old git mode it seems!

Judging from Arfa's description of the system he has, that does not appear to be likely in this case.

I take it you mean wideband? Most DTT installs will revert to grouped operation after DSO - they have attempted to keep the number of non grouped areas down to a minimum. In terms of channel bandwidth, the spacing and bandwidth allocated is the same, although the DTT signal uses the upper end of the channel more intensively than analogue.

Or the converse. "Difficult" installs that require pre distribution filtering and levelling are rarely even attempted by non expert installers. They are also difficult to conceive without proper test equipment.

Where did he say that? Did you get the bit about a trunked system with taps?

There are other differences as well. DTT is more succeptable to shot noise, and ideally ought to have fully screened outlets, amps, connections etc. Something that is not an issue for most analogue only distribution systems.

Again, this is an over simplification. Difficult locations and ones that require multiple transmitter operation may quite often need filtering and levelling. One may also require diplexers and other active components. That is before you get to the issues of injecting other sources like CCTV or door cams etc into a distribution system.

Other than where there should be that is...

Reply to
John Rumm

The chances are nothing much will change - you will most likely be able to carry on using RF distribution of SD TV via a coax system. If it gets to the stage that people want HDTV distribution systems, then it will get more complicated.

The CAT5 _can_ be used for AV distribution using suitable adaptors, although apart from unusual situations, the chances are it would be better used to carry the "AV" content from a media server over ethernet to suitable smart media player.

Reply to
John Rumm

If I need to put a belling lee on a new cable I nowadays (unless in a tight space) use an F connector and an F-Belling adaptor. Better screening and easier to fit.

Reply to
<me9

A fair bit of the power level increase will be swallowed up by a return to the less robust modulation system of on-dodgy days.

Reply to
<me9

Quite. And yes, I did mean wideband. I've just got so used to saying "broadband" in reference to the internet, that it accidentally slipped into the sentence in this thread. And yes, my trunked system is quite complex, as it carries analogue signals from two transmitters at opposite ends of the band, as well as signals from a Sky box and a TiVo box and some CCTV as well.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

I am indeed hoping that the system will cope 'as is' once the transmitter powers are cranked and the locations of the multiplexes are in their final grouped places, but I still feel that might be the time to give the system, which has been in place for some years, a major overhaul. Time, performance, and test equipment will tell, I guess ...

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

64QAM is already in use on the ITV carrying muxes now (and I have a feeling the recent juggling of muxes may have pushed more that way). So if you are getting a reliable service on those channels now, then it should not get any worse later.
Reply to
John Rumm

Indeed. Things like cable can deteriorate with age. When we moved in here there was already a distribution system in place which was working very poorly for DTT. A more appropriate aerial and replacement for the knackerd distribution amp fixed a few, but some drops were still exhibited very high losses until some coax runs were replaced.

Reply to
John Rumm

Probably. There is no reason for a satllite mux NOT to re-create a digital MUX stream encoded on RF.

There is no reason for it not to be a streaming webs server running on IP either.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher