disposal of polystyrene

True, and some of their prices are daft, 49p for a small croc clip won't encourage kids to get into electonics.

Plus the range and quality of tat in their 'sales' is pretty dire.

IMHO Rapid have a better range of components and Greenweld more interesting tat :)

Maplins seem to have morphed into a kind of Tandy these days, still at least they are high street....

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

And still supply goods not quite as fast as RS but at a much cheaper price.

The 4600 wasn't it ? Very good for it's time - one of the best sounding VCFs.

There was also a mini version if I recall which tried to be a MiniMoog and failed.

Reply to
Mike

Somebody already had

registered and they didn't want to use
for the reasons you've described :-)

Reply to
Mike

And quite often a "Oh I want one of those so when are you going to have them in stock ... never ?" frustrating experiences. Still looking for a few Grand IP cameras if anybody knows a UK supplier with them.

Reply to
Mike

So when they celebrated their 50th anniversary back in 1987 and the RS reps gave away copies of the first ever Radiospares catalogue (a single sheet A4 ish triple folded) it was just a total aberration then?

There is another url that works besides rswww.com if you prefer to type some more - rs-components.com

Reply to
Martin Evans

Greenweld haven't had anything intereresting in years.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

There's a name from the (distant) past. Didn't realise they were still going !

Reply to
Mike

But for REALLY interesting tat:

Bob Eager

They're not. They imploded and went poot, fissioned in two, and there's now a different resurrected "Greenweld" who send me a familiarly badly printed "catalogue" from time to time. It's all just market-stall tat (and waterproof speakers) though, nothing interesting.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I did say _more_ interesting :)

Have some nice stuff in here:

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Dunno, but I'm not at all surprised when it's Bull...!

Reply to
Bob Eager

They've got it wrong...Basil is of course the 'commercial' version of Henry, AFAICS.

Reply to
Bob Eager

ah! A bit similar to what I was thinking about the other night. Straw fibre could reinforce expanded polystyrene, thus enable lower density of plastic to be used to achieve the same end strength.

My guess on this is that the cost of gathering and transporting it all makes it uneconomic. Thats one thing thats so good about oil, the fact that its liquid and thus easily transported, and the fact that vast amounts come out of one hole.

I meant I was not aware of any alternative packing option thats better than what we use today. Your sons straw sounds very interesting, but Im guessing there was some reason it has not caught on. Few ideas make it over all the hurdles, unfortunately.

NT

Reply to
bigcat

Homer2911 wrote: NT:

If it takes longer to pack, as it does, then its not a good option. Humans take a lot of energy to run, especially in rich countries, and the energy requirement of the extra time will far outstrip any energy saving within the material itself.

For all its plusses, it still uses more energy, so is not so green.

dont paper products require much more energy to make than foamed plastics though?

if youd like to explain

NT

Reply to
bigcat

Except that I specified it wasn't a man-made plastic :-)

The problem began when motor cars replaced horses. It continued inexorably until today when there's very little (relatively) demand for straw and more and more arable crops being grown. Even most farm animals aren't bedded on straw thesedays - although there is a small movement back to it.

I understand THAT para but can't make it correlate with the other :-)

Don't worry about it!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

You don't seem to be considering its disposal. That's where the main problem arises.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Electronic water softeners for 40 quid - there you go dIMM !

It's all _new_ stuff though - no interesting old surplus tat 8-(

Reply to
Andy Dingley