Disconnecting gas cooker in Suffolk - help!

You are Mr Meadows AICMFP!

Reply to
John Rumm

Yesterday, I noted the packaging on a Zannusi free standing double oven cooker 600mm wide claimed the gross weight was 26kg...

Reply to
John Rumm

Yup they can be a bugger if not moved for decades - especially if the original fitter greased the plug and its now "set" in place.

Jolly good.

Reply to
John Rumm

No it doesn't. You're making the classic mistake of looking at 65 million people and seeing how often something happens to one of them. It happening to you is so unlikely you can ignore it. Which is why sensible people do not play the lottery.

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

It would be a good way to get rid of your wife.

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

I'd have to leave the oven door open while something was cooking on the top and have something else in the room to trip over and be clumsy enough to do so and happen to fall the right way. Not going to happen.

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

Bench press it and tell us how you get on.

Maybe they were lying to get a cheaper postage rate from the courier?

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

Those in charge of writing the rules obviously thought otherwise.

Please cite the source of your cooker related injury statistics, or alternatively F'off and troll someone who cares.

Reply to
John Rumm

Or perhaps a cooker is a big empty box with a door on the front.

Reply to
John Rumm

How about not responding to a very obvious troll John? I never see his posts, just your replies. I usually kill file persistent troll responders but I really don't want to killfile you. It's getting tempting though... ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Made of quite sturdy metal along with various heating elements. Cookers are maybe not as heavy as washing machines, but they are certainly heavy.

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

Isn't there an equivalent of Godwin's law for someone who uses cost to justify saving lives?

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

Those in charge of writing the rules have nothing better to do with their time.

Common knowledge. We all know that people get run over a lot, we see it on the news, we hear of friends and relatives getting hit. But cookers? It just doesn't happen. And I don't give a f*ck about anyone stupid enough to hurt themselves in such an idiotic way anyway. And I know absolutely zero people with a chained cooker. But carry on being a softy if you wish, life must be so scary for you.

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

A proper light bulb, that is, before those pesky US ones came over here and screwed us.

Reply to
Davey

prick

Reply to
Mick

I'm not impressed with the house clearers at all. The guy from British Heart Foundation came round to give a quote, and wrote down what was supoosed to go (basically almost everything). Booked for last Tuesday. They turned up and and then SWMBO was told they had to be paid in advance. Since she was in Kent at the time (left the key with a neighbour) this wasn't possible. She pointed out that she'd asked about this and had been told they'd invoice her afterwards. Got on the phone to BHF who reluctantly agreed that the saleable stuff would be taken away that day, and the carpets etc. today.

She returned on Wednesday to find nothing had been taken at all. Phoned them up and they said "Oh, it was too late for the van to come back". After some discussion they agreed to clear it all today. The removers took out what we wanted to keep on Thursday - they were a dream, even with a split drop-off.

She drove up there this morning. The van wasn't big enough, and they insisted they'd never agreed to take the carpets. Or a load of other stuff. They'd left some stuff that was under the stairs, and said that wasn't in the quote. Didn't stop them taking the "good" stuff that had been under there.

After a lot of heated negotiation (19 year old son did that, he's a real barrack room lawyer), they agreed to return Monday morning for another £150 and clear it all. Not that they're going to keep that; Head Office will hear.

We believe there may be some kind of scam going on, as the 'manifest' SWMBO has now seen doesn't include all the stuff they took. This good get very interesting in the long run.

House has to be clear by noon on Monday or extra rent is due. If we pay that, BHF are going to pay us, or else.

Reply to
Bob Eager

When I cleared my mum's house out I gave two men with a van 250 quid and they took the lot. And there was a lot. Washing machine and fridge freezer were fine, but they still got dumped.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire