Dimplex storage heater

I've got a dimplex combination storage/ convection heater; however the storage heater no longer works. As far I understand this most likely means the overheat trip (?) has tripped or that the (storage) heating element has gone. The convection heater works fine; I've checked that power is going into the (storage) heater.

Even if I don't want to actually fix it myself, I'd like to know what the problem is beforehand. The problem is I can't see how to get the cover off -- almost all the visible screws are on the wall-mount, and I'd rather not inadvertantly detach the thing from the wall by mistake. The non wallmount screws don't seem to detach anything.

Can anyone give me some hints as to where the screws keeping the cover on are likely to be? It doesn't seem to have any model number, but the unit is about 25 years old. Or is it more of a "prise he top off" sort of job?

Thanks, #Paul

Reply to
kinslerp

In article , snipped-for-privacy@delillo.lsr.ph.ic.ac.uk writes

They're usually at the bottom, release these and the bottom will pull out and the top will unhook. You may need a stubby screwdriver if they are upward facing.

You'll need a multimeter to check the elements and the overheat device. if it's the overheat device then look for the reason that it has overheated before going any further.

Reply to
fred

And elements do fail. Usually once one goes the others follow. I had some at a good price off e-bay.

Reply to
John

I've got it open now; it doesn't seem all that cleanly laid out.

I do see two components with what looks like a bi-metal disk in a black plastic holder. These have a peg so that (?) if the disk distorts the circuit is broken. I assume that's an overheat device. There are two, and one is open, one closed. It doesn't look like they're designed to be replaced, although maybe more than just that element is supposed to be swapped. I can't see how they could be reset in some way.

I think maybe it'll have to be binned.

#Paul

Reply to
kinslerp

snipped-for-privacy@delillo.lsr.ph.ic.ac.uk wrote: : In article you wrote: : > In article , kinslerp writes : > >

: > >I've got a dimplex combination storage/ convection heater; : > > [...] : > They're usually at the bottom, release these and the bottom will pull out : > and the top will unhook. You may need a stubby screwdriver if they are : > upward facing.

: > You'll need a multimeter to check the elements and the overheat device. if : > it's the overheat device then look for the reason that it has overheated : > before going any further.

: I've got it open now; it doesn't seem all that cleanly laid out.

: I do see two components with what looks like a bi-metal disk in a black : plastic holder. These have a peg so that (?) if the disk distorts the : circuit is broken. I assume that's an overheat device. There are two,

Are you sure? -- that sounds more like a thermostat... The thermal cutout (at least on an old GEC NightStor I repaired) is basically a fuse with an 'element' of a low melting point metal (alloy?).

: and one is open, one closed. It doesn't look like they're designed to : be replaced, although maybe more than just that element is supposed to : be swapped. I can't see how they could be reset in some way.

Is it open-circuit (ie. at room temperature)?

: I think maybe it'll have to be binned.

That sounds a pity. BTW If the heater element is blown and the manufacturer cannot supply a replacement, I was able to make up a suitable replacement with a similar gauge Nichrome wire from the Scientific Wire Company, for my GEC.

Regards Tom.

: #Paul

Reply to
UHAP023

I'm not sure. But there is a bi-metal strip in the circuit attached to the input control; I assumed that was the thermostat.

One is, one isn't, when both are at room temperature. Whatever they are, presumably one must be broken (although I might be able to think up reasons why they should differ). One is top left inside the casing, one top right.

The thing is it has to come off the wall by Monday if it isn't going to stay; and once it's off I've got nowhere to put it until I might put it back again.

#Paul

Reply to
kinslerp

The overheat cut-off can be reset by pushing a little button. It's hard to find and very hard to push.

Presumably you don't have the instructions.

tim

Reply to
tim.....