Diall Decking Oil clear.

Hi, I posted this to b&q and am awaiting a response. I wonderex if anyone on here could suggest an answer to the problem:- I used your Diall decking oil (clear)on my deck. I was surprised that it changed it the colour to a mid brown. However the big problem is that 2 weeks on there is still a stro g product odour emmiting from the deck preventing us from sitting outside. I have since power washed it twice to no avail. How do I get rid of the smell?

Reply to
Dave Lee

Any oil, linseed, tung, whatever, on what is probably a softwood will darken the colour, as the oil is absorbed into the pores and brings out the true colour of the wood.

Bound to happen. Only when the volatile components in the oil have all evaporated will the smell go. The warmer the weather, the faster it'll happen. Pray for sunshine.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Oil finishes are liked by furniture makers etc for just that reason - they tend to reveal the true colour of the wood. On pine etc you will get some darkening - similar to that you get with pine as it ages anyway. On hard woods like walnut the transformation is quite spectacular, going from mid brown to a deep variegated brown, allowing the grain to visually "pop".

If you are concerned about preventing the colour change, then you can reduce it by applying a thin coat of clear shellac prior to oiling. Alas in this case its too late for that.

Wait. It takes a few weeks in some cases for the oil to fully cure, and all the volatile compounds to boil off. A few hot sunny days will help.

Reply to
John Rumm

It always smells as its supposed to sink into the wood to protect it. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

Everyone should know this, have you never put up a shed and protected it in your life? Its no different really. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

"Revitalise and nourish your decking with this decking oil from Diall Simply apply using a brush and leave for 8 hours to dry."

AIUI the oil oxidises to a sort of varnish. BICBW.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

You're right, like all 'drying oils' they polymerise when oxidised in air. Linseed oil and its derivatives are the commonest, but e.g. Tung oil is much the same. They can get quite warm, which is why you're advised to be careful when disposing of linseed-oil-soaked rags, as they may spontaneously ignite.

Chris Hogg