DeWalt DW988

I have a DW988 drill ... this has a collar that you rotate to select hammer mode. Recently on occasions it will not rotate into hammer position, other times it does happily. Once in position it works in hammer mode fine.

Anybody any experience of this issue or sripping down the front end of a DW988

Reply to
rick

Seems to involve a paintbrush. :)

Reply to
GB

Not explicitly but I have had a couple of drills behave like this perhaps because of dust, WD40 has always been my first port of call.

Reply to
newshound

Tried slowly rotating the chuck as you try to engage hammer?

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

Actually some penetrating oil after that tends to make even the grit slippery enough!

I'm not a great fan of hammer drills for diy, myself but nowadays I tend to get by with a bog standard one since with my lack of eyes its not really safe to start trying to use hammer drills!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

You can always start non-hammer and change when progress has slowed.

After being acquainted with SDS drills I wouldn't normally choose to use a hammer drill for masonry work.

Reply to
Fredxx

+1, though I have occasionally when it's been quicker than getting the SDS for one little hole. Last time I used hammer drilling for anythng bigger it took 40 minutes to do what the SDS did in 1 minute.
Reply to
Nick Cat

Pity he does not cover front half of drill

Reply to
rick

That was a ti[ I got years ago. Start non hammer anf then switch to hammer. This helps stop the bit bouncing out of the preferred spot.Rrecently doing a small job with a cordless drill i tried it on hammer and was surprised how effective it was. It saved me from digging out the sds and an extension lead

Reply to
fred