Desktop PC

"stuart noble" screens, having the case under the monitor makes more sense.

Tis the way it used to be.

As I can't put my monitor on the case anymore, it's currently on a couple of books (FWIW windows programming stuff that I no longer do, oops sorry, that should be Windows(TM) according to MS)

tim

tim

Reply to
tim

I think after todays revelation everyones a Microsoft(TM) programmer aren't they! ..

SJW A.C.S. Ltd.

Reply to
Lurch

I don't have a problem with CR, I use my pinkie for it (and right Shift).

You shouldn't put CRs in email (even more so with Usenet posts), except at the end of a paragraph (that's the only place my posts have them), so that the recipients mail reader can format it to the screen/window width. If you put CRs in at, say, 80 characters and the message gets quoted a few times, so each line starts '> > > ', it becomes 86 chars so someone whose mail window is only 82 chars wide will get the dreaded long line, short line syndrome.

It was Perl actually ;-) I said _except COBOL_ because COBOL uses plain English:

MULTIPLY NET_PRICE BY VAT_RATE GIVING GROSS_PRICE

Reply to
Parish

Huh?

Reply to
Parish

Dunno, but the problem went away.

Reply to
stuart noble

he is referring to this:

comment referred to:

tim

"Parish" wrote | Mary Fisher wrote: | > I believe that, along with driving, keyboard skills are essential | > parts of life and everyone should be taught them - but taught well. | > You might think that you'll never need them but it's best to be | > prepared and few people will be able to escape. Being able to do | > something efficiently gives confidence when it's needed.

I do agree. I used to know someone who could touch-type from copy at 96 wpm with perfect accuracy. It really does make using a computer so much more efficient and pleasant (even though I'm not a proper t-typist myself).

| I get the impression that most typing courses are designed for | office work, i.e. plain English, so would any of these courses | be likely to train you properly to use the whole of a PC keyboard?

They should train you which finger to use for every key, although you'll get most practice on the 'typewriter' characters and lads who can cart all ash and sand.

| Here's an example; would you have any trouble touch typing this? | while (@row = $sth->fetchrow) { | for ($i = 0; $i

Reply to
Owain

Well, Ive reread my post and I dont see any mention of that, nor implication of it. So I guess not.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

I haven't used a carriage return except when starting a new paragraph for many years, since I got my first typewriter with an automatic return.

I've never done one of those. For word processing I had the best tuition in the world - entirely self-taught.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Luvely ediror...much better than Very Irritating!

But of course the acronym is really Eight Megabytes And Continually Swapping!

Reply to
Bob Eager

That would be why the RFC recommends a maximum length of 1000 characters, then....

Reply to
Bob Eager

Typing can be rather like playing music - you look at the note, and the fingers automatically go to the correct position.

We had to type to John Phillip Sousa marches. I taught some of the girls to syncopate. Mr McKenzie was furious, but he couldn't figure out who was doing it.

Sheila

Reply to
S Viemeister

Got to say, I'm a vi man myself.

Ah, but the sublty of that one would be lost on the youth of today :-)

Reply to
Parish

Hehe, I'd not seen that. Mind you, the source for Win98 has been round for a while (you don't need to be a programmer to understand this):

/* Microsoft(c) Project: Chicago(tm) Projected release-date: Summer 1994

*/

#include "win31.h" #include "win95.h" #include "evenmore.h" #include "oldstuff.h" #include "billrulz.h" #define INSTALL HARD

char make_prog_look_big[1600000];

void main() { while(!CRASHED) { display_copyright_message(); display_bill_rules_message(); do_nothing_loop(); if (first_time_installation) { make_50_megabyte_swapfile(); do_nothing_loop(); totally_screw_up_HPFS_file_system(); search_and_destroy_the_rest_of_OS/2(); hang_system(); } write_something(anything); display_copyright_message(); do_nothing_loop(); do_some_stuff(); if (still_not_crashed) { display_copyright_message(); do_nothing_loop(); basically_run_windows_3.1(); do_nothing_loop(); do_nothing_loop(); } }

if (detect_cache()) disable_cache();

if (fast_cpu()) { set_wait_states(lots); set_mouse(speed, very_slow); set_mouse(action, jumpy); set_mouse(reaction, sometimes); }

/* printf("Welcome to Windows 3.11"); */ /* printf("Welcome to Windows 95"); */ printf("Welcome to Windows 98"); if (system_ok()) crash(to_dos_prompt); else system_memory = open("a:\swp0001.swp", O_CREATE);

while(something) { sleep(5); get_user_input(); sleep(5); act_on_user_input(); sleep(5); } create_general_protection_fault();

Reply to
Parish

That might be how you send it, but Google thinks you have line breaks after 'except', 'so' etc.

And I see 'except' on a line by itself.

Even if you managed to avoid CRs in the first post, everyone else would add a new quote mark before the previous quote marks, and so add to the length of each quoted line. Therefore the first quoter needs to have short lines, and preferable the original post.

Reply to
Nick Finnigan

That sounds wrong to me. Your posting, as it arrived here, contained line breaks exactly where you see them above. I believe that you didn't type them, but I think you'll find that your software inserted them automatically before the message left your PC.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

A line break isn't the same thing as a carriage return in my opinion.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I'm glad you posted that, I saw line breaks in different places. That points the finger at the transmission rather than the posting software, but the effect on the readers is the same - lines which look bad after a few quotes.

Reply to
Nick Finnigan

Agreed. That's why I wrote "line break" and not "carriage return".

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. Without examining things in much closer detail I couldn't tell you what mechanisms are used to represent a line break at each of the many stages that a message goes through between your keyboard and my screen; and there would be no point in my doing so. It's not as if a CR is created under your Enter key and reappears on my monitor. The exact characters or whatever don't matter, it's the effects (line breaks) that matter.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Mea culpa. I worded it badlay and also I was thinking of two different things (CR as in literally pressing RETURN, and format=flowed).

Let me try again....

When typing in the compose editor you shouldn't hit RETURN except at the end of a paragraph else if you go back and edit your text you will alter the line length. Your e-mail client should have a setting for line length and it should insert line breaks which, if I remember RFC822 correctly should be a LF-CR pair, it inserts _when it sends the message_. Normally you should set this value to ~70 to allow for subsequent quoting, however if the quoting levels get too deep you will still have problems. That is why "format=flowed" was created; the mail client still inserts line breaks at X characters whe it sends the message, but it adds a trailing SPACE to the end of the text. If the recipients mail client understands format=flowed (and it hasn't been disabled) then it will re-flow the text of each quoted message to fit the window width (maintianing a constant line length), strip the quote chars ('> '), and show the quoting levels by indenting the text, most will also add a vertical coloured bar, or bars, at the left hand end of each line to the indicate quote level (like Outlook (and OE?) does with the quoted message when you Forward it) so you see:

| Original message | || Reply to original || ||| Reply to reply ||| |||| Reply to reply to reply ||||

but you don't get the long line - short line problem where the short line is unquoted.

Regards,

Parish

Reply to
Parish