Descaling - Citric acid v White vinegar

He was clearly convinced enough of my bona fides to explain the reason why he was only able to sell me a fairly small amount (250g, maybe?)

I don't think I looked *that* reputable, and I have moved in some mildly dodgy circles in my time...

Reply to
jkn

Could you tell me more about this please, Pamela? Thank you!

Reply to
David Paste

Switching the kettle on provides that!

True.

Reply to
Adam Funk

Interesting, I knew there was some shady use for it but I couldn't remember what.

Reply to
Adam Funk

If one has certain illnesses caused by a genetic condition then there may be too little "fuel" available to turn the Krebs energy producing cycle. One of the fuels is citric acid.

My main point is that even cheap citric acid is pure enough to eat (in moderation!).

Reply to
Pamela

Calcium acetate is probably marginally more soluble than the citrate.

Because it is the cheapest nastiest chemically manufactured pure vinegar that you can buy. Food grade but suitable only for pickling onions.

Better quality vinegars are fermented properly and have additional taste from that process in them. You can buy really cheap brown vinegar that is actually just white vinegar with a brown dye in it. Read the label.

Only if you want to waste your money.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Thank you Pamela! I was just curious if it was a "fitness hack" in some way :)

Reply to
David Paste

If it's not made by fermenting alcohol they aren't allowed to call it vinegar; they have to call it "non brewed condiment" or the like. Chip shops used to have it. White vinegar is distilled malt vinegar.

Reply to
Max Demian

The pop fitness hack on many web sites (not connected to my anaplerotic substrate for Krebs) is to use citric acid to reduce acidosis although if you have that you really should see a doctor.

Reply to
Pamela

Thanks for the info.

Reply to
David Paste

Those bundles of 'stainless steel wire wool' are very effective in preventing scaling in kettles. THEY scale up instead. You're supposed to take them out every so often, and 'scrunch' them under water to free the scale out of them. I usually leave it far too long, and end up with a hard lump of unscrunchable scale - so I then have to remove it with concentrated descaler (usually Kilrock).

Reply to
Ian Jackson

I bought a decent quantity from Ebay. Used to clean a car heater matrix.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News