Dell display gone bad

Well this should be interesting. Purchased a Dell U2518D display in Jan 2020 from Amazon, today it appears it's developed a column of pixels with blue stuck on. Most visible when the display is black as it is when it's searching for input (so the back-light is active). Also interesting is that the line of stuck pixels fades out about a cm from the top and bottom of the actual screen area.

2.5 years old so we'll have to see how sympathetic they are.
Reply to
TimS

Unless it's still in its "limited hardware warranty period", probably not very.

Calum

Are you sure its not the harness that has a cracked track? I got one of those for 8 quid, similar fault but older Dell. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

To which harness do you refer?

Reply to
Tim Streater

I'd hope it would be covered. An occasional dot pixel failure is a problem on the panel substrate. Panels could be sold like that, under terms of sale and customer acceptance.

To me a failed line of pixels is not acceptable, it's either electronics or interconnects failing, it negatively impacts its use.

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

Well guess what. It's gone away. Or at any rate reduced in intensity to the point where I'm not sure whether I can see it or not. It was definitely there before - a bright blue vertical line visible if e.g. I slept the machine.

Reply to
TimS

it will likely come back.

Reply to
nospam

I doubt it ...

"Dell shall repair or replace the Dell Product if it develops a material fault in the period of one year from date of delivery."

Andy Burns

That does indicate a poor connection which varys.

Reply to
Rod Speed

But the statutory warranty also applys and it isn't just 1 year.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Probably a poor connection at the edge of the panel, possibly brought on by recent heating/cooling cycles. If it comes back percussive maintenance or twisting the screen may make it better (or worse).

Reply to
Rob Morley

Dell doesn't write consumer law.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

Do you mean vary's?

Reply to
Costas Skatadopoulopoulos

Do you mean apply's?

Reply to
Costas Skatadopoulopoulos

Nope.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Nope, dope.

Reply to
Rod Speed

:) Is that what I think it means?

Reply to
R D S

No, he means varies and applies but his grasp of English is poor.

Reply to
TimS

Nope, I choose to spell it like that, stupid.

Reply to
Rod Speed

I don't know what you think it means, but in our industry it means thump it.

If that helps you either ignore the problem, or spend days tracking it down if it's going to a customer.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris