Dehumidifier recommendations?

Ooops - it is Thursday, not Monday. Apologies to those of you who miss this and spend three days and nights camping outside your local Lidl.

Reply to
polygonum

You mean it was listed on the invoice and you paid for it.

The garage did actually replace it with a new one.

A car that is that damp inside I'd suspect as having a leak somewhere and sodden sound deading felt...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Mine is a bit noisy for "living with" but it only comes out after floods, steam stripping, etc.

Reply to
newshound

Use the car's aircon and/or heater.

Check to see if the sound proofing material under the carpets has got waterlogged, and if so, search for the leak.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

i used the aircon for the first time ever last week. i normaly just wind a window down a crack.

i will check the carpets. thanks for the suggestion.

--

mhm x v i x i i i

Reply to
happy zombie jebus on the cros

My limited experience is that desiccant ones work much better, particularly at low temperatures. We have one in our camper an and it does a great job. Much lighter than compressor ones too. Higher power consumption but them it seems to work a lot better.

We bought ours off eBay. Supposedly refurbished but you'd never know. WAY cheaper than normal new price.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Car aircon needs using periodically to keep it working. It also dehumidifies, so you can use it even in the winter to help with demisting (and you should do so at least occasionally).

Also anything like a spare tyre well in the boot, where spilled or leaking water might collect.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Got the Lidl one, it's a decent unit, removes plenty of water, might be a bit noisy in the home depending on where you put it.

Reply to
R D S

Um, using it keeps the oil circulating through the system and the seals lub ricated and thus... sealing. Lack of use, ironically, can cause failure (le akage, needing regassing by F-Gas bod, new dryer).

If the HVAC condensate hose is blocked it can dump into the passenger footw ell on some cars. Lift trunk/boot & footwell carpets and check for water. S ome cars do unfortunately suffer leaks by design, others if the sunroof/boo t seals are not working properly.

There are still alfasquelch wannabees out there...

Reply to
js.b1

Yep, me too, agreed.

Rob

Reply to
RJH

My Father just picked a deal one up at LIDL today

Reply to
Rick Hughes

I bought the Lidl one a week or two ago. It's so noisy my wife won't have it switched on.

Reply to
Bob Martin

With her on that - too noisy to have in an occupied room.

The fan is pretty powerful, though, to the point that I can see the 'clothes drying' function working well.

And while it's difficult to tell what might have been without, and of course I need to sell it to myself, it seems to have done a sterling job around the house while I've got plasterers in.

Cheers, Rob

Reply to
RJH

It's only for his garage which is seperate to house - so no problem

Reply to
Rick Hughes

BUT.... AIUI, the Lidl dehumidifiers are compressor types and don't work well at lower temperatures.

Reply to
Chris Holford

That's right; user manual says not below 5C.

Reply to
Bob Martin

I suspect performance will tail off badly significantly above that though. Ours is naff when it's cool.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

My best eBay purchase was one of these that I picked up (from he same seller I think) for £37 + reasonable postage. Better still, my purchase came with a bit of minor damage to the case & cable so the seller sent me another one and showed no interest in getting the first one back. Two for half the price of a new one!

Much more efficient at removing water than our old condenser one and on the lowest fan setting very discrete. (We can sleep with it running in our motorcaravan).

Tim

Reply to
Tim+