Decking Oil Failure

I know you followed teh project as I built it so it had the time before 'oiling'

I'm not even sure what to do ... just light pressure wash to remove any loose .... and re-oil, but I'm guessing then there will be colour difference.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Sadolin would have been cheaper ... what I wanted to avoid was a surface coating as see them lift off on decking.

As 50% of desk is undercover and is fine ... I gues I'm stuck to re coating with oil. Once it is dry enough ......... surface prep will be issue.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Hughes

It's wierd - I've painted our deck 4 times now with oil, and it's fine. Just fades away nicely.

I'd pressure wash it (ignore the doom merchants, it's fine if you have half a brain) and the oil it with something a little darked - that'll hide the patches I'd have thought.

Assuming it will sink into the wood where the covering hasn't come off that is.

The screwfix no nonsence oil is on offer at the moment and 20 quid for 5l.

Used a tin on sunday to paint ours - the oak is darker than I imagined but seems ok once dry.

Darren

Reply to
D.M.Chapman

Decking is probably the most demanding substrate for any finish. Has to be hard wearing, uv resistant, able to sit in water for hours at a stretch and deliver all this regardless of the timber quality.

Reply to
stuart noble

Slighty OT but I have to ask (!) I think that job looks excellent and have thought about doing something similar myself when I get the chance. The issue that always comes to my mind is whether an open structure like that is liable to have trouble as a result of the wibd getting under it and lifting/stressing the roof. Now it's been there a while, is there any evidence for this concern or have I invented a problem that doesn't exist?

Reply to
GMM