Dealing with height on ladders.

Time to repost this;

Huge

probably wait til

I just done

There are two types of climbing rope IIUC - static and dynamic. The former does not stretch and is designed for belaying etc but not designed for fall arrest.

Reply to
John Rumm

- And think how you are going to get down once you are dangling in the

- harness.

When you fall you should be be in fairly close proximity to the scaffolding or the ladder. In fact its hard to visualise a situation where this wouldn't apply. Given which you can grasp the ladder or the scaffolding and release the rope. In any case when attaching a rope to a harness it should first be run around and through a karibiner and attached using a quick release device rather than a knot. In the event of a fall this will allow the user to easily release the rope and control the speed of the rope by using the friction of the rope going through the Karibiner to allow a slow descent.

michael adams

- You don't have long dangling before blood starts to pool in

- your legs and nasty physilogical things start to happen, including

- death.

Reply to
michael adams

- With climbing rope you should remember that it is designed to save you

- in a fall but it will only do this once. As the energy absorbed it

- damages the rope and the rope gets longer. The rope will have its

- length marked at the ends. measure it and check the length matches

- the labels. if it has been stretched then bin it.

In a situation where a nervous person actually falls off a ladder I don't think the possibility of using the rope a second time around is likely to arise somehow. While the ladders themselves will probably to end up on eBay, or in the local paper.

michael adams

michael adams

Many thanks indeed for all the comments, I am most grateful for all the ideas that have put forward. Thank you.

Reply to
SS

Not quite. Climbing would be rather expensive were this true!

That said, if your "rescue" rope is fixed to the window frame and you fall from the top (i.e. you fall the length of rope that is protecting you) that is a factor 1 fall, which *can* wreck a climbing rope. Some people would discard after a factor 1, some wouldn't (a rope is rated usually for multiple falls of a higher severity than this). A factor

2 (falling twice the length of rope that's out) is a definite reason to chuck it, but you would have to be climbing above your anchor to have any chance of this.

Neil

Reply to
Neil Williams

Abseiling or ascending, not climbing/belaying. Even a short fall on a static (non stretchy) rope would hurt.

If you fall any distance on a static rope one of three things will happen. The rope will break (less likely), your harness will break or (and, more like) *you* will break.

Neil

Reply to
Neil Williams

Unless the cause is the ladder failing or falling over...

I just did :)

Neil

Reply to
Neil Williams

...having said that, I wouldn't climb with my rope secured just to a bit of wood in a window frame, particularly not a uPVC one. (Worth saying before someone does, as it was suggested elsewhere in the thread). It was just a good example as it would give a factor 1 rather than 0.8 or something :)

I did at one point look to see if there were any decent anchors in my house that would hold me up so I could abseil out of the window to install an alarm box, but I couldn't find anything I was happy with so stuck it on the garage wall instead. (No ladder to hand and it needed doing that day).

Neil

Reply to
Neil Williams

Isn't this the moment to dial a friend? Or 999 and ask for the nice blokes in the fire brigade. When my son was little, his ball got stuck in a tree, so he went round to the fire station and asked them for help. They even gave him a ride in the fire engine. No fires that day, needless to mention.

Reply to
GB

  1. An eyelet even half-way up will do the trick. The point is that the OP is unhappy above 10 ft.
  2. You can get ladders with an extra bar at the bottom to make them more stable. Why doesn't everyone use those?
Reply to
GB

The answer to that is to use a rate of descent control device, rather than a fixed length of rope. You still hit the ground if you fall, but slowly enough for it not to hurt.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Technically, it is a fear of depths (big drops under you), not of heights (tall things above you)

I get there after about the third trip up the ladder, having all but crawled off it on the first one.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

- Unless the cause is the ladder failing or falling over...

Not where the ladder is secured at the top to a crossbar inside a window.

- I just did :)

Only by ignoring the fact that the ladsder is secured at the top.

michael adams

- Neil

Reply to
michael adams

Assuming that the ladder is still in position and not lying on the ground. Assuming that you haven't knocked yourself out hitting the ladder, scaffold, wall, WHY, on the way down.

Being in a harness with no-one else about to help you get down should you end up dangling in it is really rather risky.

That is good advice but does assume that the person is concious or hasn't got a broken arm... It also requires the person to know how to thread the rope through the karibiner and have the quick release device etc.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I can after a lot of practice now do that on our shallow-pitched "rear extension" roof but what's the secret please to doing it on a conventional pitched roof? I'd welcome an alternative to my crawling off the ladder, with every bit of anatomy I can in contact with the slates, moving the Clog ascender inches at a time up the rope slung over the top. And you can imagine how much worse that feels when I then find roofers on the terrace behind laughing at me as they stroll up and down the same :(

Reply to
Robin

The ladder was tied at the top to the same crossbar as the climbing rope. Which is where I came in.

So you don't recommend wearing a safety helmet then ?

For somebody as concerned as you seem to be with banging your head on ladders, scaffolding, walls, this seems to be rather a strange omission.

In any case the rope should be threaded through the karibiner and quick release as you climb the ladder. There is no need for more than say 3-6ft of slack at the top of the ladder. Its not as if you're going to go very far is it ?

Sure thing. Hanging on the end of 3ft of rope.

Indeed. It assumes the person isn't a complete numpty. But then if they were complete numpties they would probably already have succeeded in killing or seriously injuring themselves in any number of ways.

michael adams

michael adams

Send your WoG up!

I flppin well did cause she was laughing at me and my jelly legs and she went straight to the top of the ladder and never flinched....Bitch! Not that I would let her paint! that would be another restoration job for me. :-)

Reply to
SS

Well theres rope and, err rope. The one that comes with most all decent body harnesses does have a "tape" like section thats stitched together the idea is that it will rip apart thus absorbing the falling tension impact load, a conventional rope won't do that 'tho some climbing ropes are rather "stretchy" but very little over a few feet ..

Course what's really useful is having someone around who can call for help..

If required...

Reply to
tony sayer

She could get the painters in.