Data protection!

Why have you no intention of allowing-all? Are the benefits of not allowing all worth the trouble of allowing only some? It's bad enough clicking all the allow-all's.

Reply to
Dave W

When my dad was alive but very frail I tried once or twice to explain that as I had power of attorney they could deal with me, but it was always a failure. They wanted me to post all the papers to them, or actually go into the bank or wherever. So I just started to ring up and say I was him, and that worked much better.

Most of the accounts I use for buying things were set up by my late wife and are in her name. I can't be bothered to change them. I've had a few instances where they've insisted on speaking to her. That hasn't generally ended well.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

What pisses me off is the 'cookies needed to ensure site operation'

You don't in general, need cookies to ensure site operation.

The only purpose of cookies is to 'remember you by past actions' and so on.

Only if you have logged into a site should that be legally permitted.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

My policy is only to allow cookies necessary for the site to function to my benefit, not to theirs.

Reply to
Tim Streater

what has it got to do with you...they wanted the wife

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...
<snip>
<snip>

I allow all cookies, everywhere because it is quicker but then I've set my browser so that it deletes all cookies etc every time I close it down.

Anything "serious" gets done on a freshly launched Live Linux session which forgets everything when it gets shut down.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

Do what a friend of mine does, he just tells them he is his mother/wife/daughter/whoever.

Under all the other bollocks of the 21st Century, the person the other ends dares not question a 'wrong' sounding voice !

Reply to
Mark Carver

similar to complainants wanting to talk to "The Manager". You ask your mate on the nearby deak to take the call.

Reply to
charles

I never close it down. Not even when I click Yes for an update requiring a reboot.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Tanya Arnold sounds like a bloke anyway.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

In message <s99o8j$h9m$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me, The Natural Philosopher snipped-for-privacy@invalid.invalid writes

Or "To improve your viewing experience". I came across a site with this, and it had a link to explain why they needed cookies. Nothing on there explained how it would improve my viewing experience, and so far as I could tell, they didn't any value at all.

See also many third party scripts on websites.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

The "R" in GDPR stands for "Regulation". Under EU law, a Regulation cannot be altered by a Member State (unlike a Directive, which allows for some local interpretation).

That was then - this is now, post-Brexit. I haven't checked, but I think the GDPR was one of those EU laws that we kept unchanged, the intention being to get round to discussing amendments when the Houses of Parliament had time for it.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

since the UK was mainly responisble for GDPR, it isn't surprising we wanted to keep it unchanged.

Reply to
charles

Further, Regulations come into force in Member States the moment they are enacted by the EU. National Parliaments don't get to have any involvement.

Reply to
Tim Streater