D-I-Y Fruit Ripening

Not always. expensive sea salt has a lot more than sodium chloride in it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Untreated sewage and sea gull shit! Overall it still taste of salt.

Reply to
alan_m

Actually, I find that their own-label stuff is better quality than the sainsbury/tesco/asda equivalent.

Their 'basics' single cream is thicker than Sainsburys so-called double cream. And Horsham Waitrose use cheaper across the range than the smaller tescos and Sainsburys scattered through the outlying villages.

Reply to
Andrew

The corner shop Tesco/Sainsbury tend to be more expensive than the little independent shops they squeezed out.

Reply to
alan_m

Oh you can't compare with Tesco Local (or whatever it is called)

They're just "local shop price" with a brand name.

tim

Reply to
tim...

but you do get reward points :-)

tim

Reply to
tim...

Be aware that 'thick' cream is made from 'single cream' by ultrasonic treatment. I prefer it, but it's not the same as 'double cream' which has a richer formulation than 'single cream'

Reply to
Dave W

Minute plastic particles?

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

My local Sainsburys (bigger than a corner store) has some really good reductions at 5:30 PM. They have a wet fish counter and the selection of cod, mackeral, haddock, salmon, mussels and other stuff is not to be sniffed at. You save far more at that time of night than using their silly nectar card.

Recently they have started selling a lot of east european, asian and carribbean stuff. This isn't selling so well, so periodically there is a pile of meat dumplings, and assorted pork-based products (but with a huge list of ingredients) going cheap.

Reply to
Andrew

In message , Andrew writes

Are you sure they're not chicken based ...?

Reply to
Graeme

I always used to feel a bit embarrassed going into my local Tesco Local every afternoon looking for the mark downs

I can easily afford to pay full price, but I saw no reason to shop there for the full priced items as there was an Iceland 20 yards away and a Lidl no more than 200.

(I really don't know why Tesco thought that they could make a go at this particular location - after about 9 months of trying to be a general convenience store, it turned into a lunchtime sandwich and salad shop)

tim

Reply to
tim...

They actually work very well in cakes.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Having shopped in Tesco from the days of Jack Cohen, the present business IMO has lost the plot. There's no way Jack would be outsold by Lidl or Aldi. He also wasn't stupid enough to want his own bank.

Reply to
Capitol

I was going to congratulate him on being careful to use the correct spelling for the similar sounding word to "cheep", thus precluding any avian DNA based referenced follow ups... It seems I failed to take account of others' lack of spelling ability. :-(

PS, I also managed to resist the temptation to state the bleedin' obvious [1] and say that *any* wet fish counter is best 'not to be sniffed at' by that time of the day. :-)

[1] I imagined, rightly or wrongly, that this thought would have sprung to mind, as it did for me, with anyone and everyone reading Andrew's post who would likewise have resisted the urge to pass comment. At least in this (thus far), I seem to have judged my fellow usenetters' instincts quite nicely. :-)
Reply to
Johnny B Good

It was just (only just!) a joke. A little play on words. FFS.

Last night I heard my mother singing this song ...

Reply to
Graeme

Sorry about that but, TBH, I'd been tempted to make the same (feeble) joke myself except the use of the correct spelling kinda put a damper on the urge. When I saw that I hadn't been alone in thinking "Bird DNA!", I just used your post to capitalise on the other tempting 'feed line', "not to be sniffed at".

If its any consolation, you can consider this apology as my sharing of the responsibility for the two of us both thinking of making a weak bird DNA based joke - you at least, had been brave enough to say what had to be said. :-)

Which song?

Reply to
Johnny B Good

Oh dear. You'll have to Google it :-)

Reply to
Graeme

Tesco makes way more money than they did in the pile it high sell it cheap days.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Given that I have just been watching Fake Britain where people passed off Turkey as Lamb (in it's raw form, not once cooked)

It is far from clear that it was meant to be a joke

tim

Reply to
tim...

The bank is a separate cost centre

It doesn't impinge on the main business in any way

tim

Reply to
tim...