B&Q oddity

Lamp batten with switch £1.50

Lamp batten without switch £2.50

Eh!?

and to make things even worse:

Lamp batten (w/o switch) plus flex and ceiling rose £2.50

I went to Wickes (didn't save anything 1.59 - I could have bought the B&Q switched version and just left the switch permanently on!)

And boy are these things a bugger to fit - standing on a chair with your arms at full stretch :-(

tim

Reply to
tim...

I know it doesn't help much with the original fitting, but I have fitted these, which makes subsequent work easier.

Bob Eager

In message , tim... writes

One of the most useful tools in my armoury is a small step ladder. Only two steps plus platform and handrail, but perfect for all those just out of reach jobs like light bulbs and fittings, curtain rails and just reaching up. I use it almost daily, and because it is light, I can grab and carry it with one hand, where I probably wouldn't bother with a larger ladder. About the size of an ironing board when closed, and kept with the ironing board. Indispensable. Seriously.

Reply to
Graeme

All true, but I have discovered that a "jump-up", aka "work platform" is even more useful. Bought one on a whim recently from Screwfix;

It wasn't bloody £35, either. They must have been on offer, or something. I have no idea how I ever managed without one.

Reply to
Huge

In message , Huge writes

I do have a platform which is useful for painting ceilings and stuff, but, not being a fan of ladders in general, I really like the small step ladder with raised handrail. I suppose it gives me a feeling of security. Yes, I know I'm only a couple of feet off floor level, and no, I don't lean against the rail as such, but I just know the rail is there. Daft, I know.

Reply to
Graeme

Sensible if, like me, you're starting to be less stable from a balance PoV. While at CERN, at weekends I used to go up some peaks where one false step and you'd fall a couple of thousand feet without touching anything. Wouldn't dare go near them now.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Unless you have high ceilings. I have a couple of these and they are too short for comfortable ceiling work (by around 150mm)

Reply to
alan_m

Yes. We keep a similar thing in the utility room.

In the workshop I have a library stool, for those high shelves!

Reply to
Bob Eager

That's the 900mm one. The 600mm one is 25 quid.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Mine were free when I took early retirement by walking out and the wankers I had been tuped to did not know we had a lock up store in another location. I'm glad I got two as the missus has invariably commandeered one as a plant stand in her green house when she has filled all the shelves,occasionally things get fractious when I find she has used both. I've found having two supporting a staging board is useful when painting a ceiling as you can reach quite a large area before having to move them.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

You need a taller chair. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

You know it is funny as many many years ago, Tandy sold a 5 amp variable voltage power supply, both in kit form and ready built. the kit cost five pounds more than the built one. This is just one way that hobby electronics was killed! Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

It was almost always the case that building something electronics from scratch wasn't that cost effective compared to buying the finished item unless you worked in the industry and components could be "borrowed" from the company stock :)

Reply to
alan_m

johnny cash - one piece at a time

Adrian Caspersz

That's my wife's attitude. She won't use the jump-up.

Reply to
Huge

Ahh, thank you. That'll be it.

Reply to
Huge

They do a 600mm version for 24.99

Reply to
Andrew May

but then it wouldn't fit under the table when I sat on it :-(

(I did look around the room to see if there was anything I could place on the chair to raise me up a little bit, but I decided that was likely to be a short trip to ending up in a pile on the floor)

tim

Reply to
tim...

ITYM "pendant lamp holder" - a batten fixture screws to e.g. the back of a cupboard.

Rob Morley

Same here, I think it's a case of the handrail providing a nearby fixed point of reference rather than actually needing to lean on it.

Reply to
Mike Clarke