D-I-Y Fruit Ripening

Yep, that's it. Except as well as being inedible, we only got half a dozen pears. I think the trees are going to be firewood.

Reply to
Huge

Pears grown from a pip, a popular thing for kids to do, are often not very good; they are open-pollinated and don't come true to their parent trees.

Some pears go from unripe to over-ripe very quickly. There's a saying that you have to sit up all night to get a William pear when its ripe.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Waitrose - 5 days YFMMV

Reply to
Paul Herber

... of starvation required before most people get willing to pay their prices.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Or try Ocado. They price match, and the supply chain is shorter.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Insert obligatory link to Eddie Izzard sketch:

(around 4m20 mark)

Jon N

Reply to
jkn

No actually I haven't. What could I use to generate gamma rays? I could also try the local hospital's X-ray department. I'm just a bit too far from Sellafield to make the trip worthwhile although they do park up nuclear waste trains in Crewe sidings overnight so maybe that might be worth a try. OTOH maybe the brown paper bag is worth a try first.

Reply to
bert

Not entirely. Just wanted to make it vaguely on topic and to make it slightly humorous. Any of the fruit which is sold as Ripen in the Bowl. Apricots peaches nectarines etc.

Reply to
bert

FFS I want to ripen it not shred it into little slices. I use the AG fro slicing onions and the flavour would transfer to the fruit.

Reply to
bert

My point exactly. I was hoping someone might have a solution.

Reply to
bert

I've got two fruits in my bowl that I bought in Lidl 3 days ago

not a sign of either of them being edible yet!

tim

Reply to
tim...

they price match to Lidl?

tim

Reply to
tim...

problem is, I only like under rip bananas

using them to ripen other fruit would see me throwing away the bananas at the end

tim

Reply to
tim...

but we do know it should taste of *something*

tim

Reply to
tim...

Like some bananas - go from green to black and miss out yellow. Sublime!

Reply to
PeterC

I think that's a bit unfair. I have had quality longish lasting fruit and veg from Lidl/Aldi and from the larger supermarkets fruit and veg that has had a poor shelf life and/or has never ripened - and visa versa. I'm not sure that any of supermarket retailers is any different from each other.

Having stayed in a rural village environment for 3 weeks recently where the local shops (including independent supermarkets) pride themselves in supplying (very) local produce the difference in local in season produce was noticeable and better, but at a price. In addition, lot of road side houses and small holdings were selling surpluses. Anything else imported from other parts of the world were of the same quality as the large national retailers.

Reply to
alan_m

They probably only price match expensive "BRANDS" which doesn't apply to fruit and veg.

Reply to
alan_m

Learn to cook with blackened bananas.

Reply to