d-i-y face hedge trimmers?

Hi All,

On the subject of power tools. ;-)

Since all my hair fell through my head and came out of my face I've been using a Remington HC-200 mains-rechargeable trimmer (mainly on mains) and it's been very good indeed. In fact I didn't realise how good until it fizzled out the other day and rather than look at it I got out the Whal trimmer I was bought as a present a few years back and gave it a go.

I would have to say it's either faulty or pathetic (which I didn't think it would be given it's size and weight), stalling when given some actual work to do on say a slightly-left-too-long beard. ;-(

I think the 'difference' between the two products is that the Remington uses positive movement on the blades via an eccentric on the motor spindle (like a mobile phone vibrate) whereas the Wahl feels like it's induction vibration (like on a fish tank pair pump).

Soo, liking the Remington I was looking at this, the 'Remington Barba Beard Trimmer':

wondered if anyone had one, what they thought of it and (out of interest) does it use the eccentric or vibrate process please?

FWIW it seems to have some pretty positive reviews on the Argos site.

Cheers, T i m

p.s. Because the fine depth guide on the HC-200 is a manual slide affair, on a couple of occasions I've left it set to '0' (rather than my more typical 3) and ended up giving myself a reverse Mohican! ;-(

Reply to
T i m

Not answering your question, but recently I bought some shaving oil for wet shaving and noticed the instructions included using it with an electric. So I tried. And it does make the experience much nicer. Just a drop or two.

Here's a link to one such oil, probably the best known:

Mind, probably a *really* bad idea on a beard.

(Facial equivalent of WD40? :-) )

Reply to
Rod

In article , T i m writes

Wahl trimmers are meant to be pretty good, did you try adjusting it?

There's an adjusting screw on the side and you turn it (can remember which way) until it makes a hell of a racket then you turn it the other way until the racket just stops, then it's working at peak cuttiness.

If it really was branded Whal then you may have a cheap Chinese copy.

Reply to
fred

cuts down on the beard bits all over the bathroom.

Tim

Reply to
Tim

I have to admit to replacing a Babyliss (yeah, okay, Argos "special") with a Wahl from a hairdresser's supplier, and it was like comparing chalk with cheese re. performance (the Wahl being vastly superior).

Agreed - tweak the adjustment on it and try.

Never tried a Remington - obviously a big name in trimmers, but there must be something with the Wahl range being stocked by a professional hair-stuff supplier.

Reply to
Mike Dodd

FWIW, I use this clipper when I'm in Italy:

this one in the UK:

the two the Remington (mains) is much better than the Bayliss. The Remington doesn't need clipper oil, it's more powerful as you suggested and the accessories etc are all well made. The Babyliss works but it's a PITA and the ceramic cutter broke on my beard hairs. Yes, I really am Desperate Dan.

Reply to
Steve Firth

(I use some foam stuff / disposable razor when I tidy round the edges. Seems ok?)

Ok.

Ta.

Now why does the idea still appeal for some reason? ;-)

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Well, on the side there is a lever that seems to move tone half of the blade pair against the other (so there is more / less of the 'teeth' of one aligned with the other)?

I think I remember it being *very* noisy when I first got it but when I got it out earlier it started nearly silently. I gave it a prod and a shake and it seemed to perk up, enough to do my head then it started dying out (going very quiet) seemingly randomly?

It defo says Wahl on the label but I guess it could easily be a clone ...

looks very like them (inc all the bits) and it would appear from some of the reviews I'm not the only one with a duff set. ;-(

It looks like they have replaced the plastic 'volume' lever on mine with clockwork! ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

that's a fine adjustment for length- used to blend in. The idea is you move it as you cut.

You're looking for a thing that looks like a flat screw-head, about 8mm accross.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

That's what my Mrs and daughter though when they bought them for me a few years ago. Used them once (too loud for my tinnitus) then fixed the Remington instead.

Funnily enough and independently of me my Dad also has the same Remington model as I know as I recently repaired his for him (broken wire where it joins the Trimmer).

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

What sort of capacity do they have? Do you have to empty it mid session etc?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Ah, I thought it looked and felt a bit easy for a 'setting' control (if you know what I mean).

Ah, the one half way down the handle that on mine looks like the end of a fuse holder you mean. ;-)

I gave that a few turns and now have the range from quiet to a tinnitus annoying loud buzz-rattle!

So, if the is a 'correct' setting, what is it please (please don't say 'on the loudest' ..) [1] ;-(

Cheers (very much).

T i m

p.s. Anyone need a concrete vibrator?

[1] Seriously, if it was to be set on loud I really could see myself being able to use them, not without earplugs anyway.
Reply to
T i m

;-)

Both seem to have fairly good reviews on the Argos site and neither particularly expensive either.

Now I seem to have access to the volume control on these Wahls I might give them another try next week but they are still pretty heavy and bulky, compared to the old Remingtons. [1]

Cheers, T i m

[1] Something you might notice more when using them yourself rather than on someone else, due to the contorted postures you need to adopt when d-i-y trimming.
Reply to
T i m

I'd have said Wahl was the puppys parts when it came to trimmers. I've had a few el cheapos and nothing compares to the Wahl.

Are you sure it hasn't got a brick stuck in it?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

T i m wibbled on Saturday 03 October 2009 14:31

Curious. I've had a single Whal for the last 15 going on 20 years and I've abused it - lots of beard, occasional hair, hardly oiled and it's still going strong.

Reply to
Tim W

mmm, I have [near enough] the second one (BaByliss - but the hair trimmer) and it it is noisy when adjusted to spec. It also has only 10 min. duty; I've a double crown, so half the time is spent trying to cut the sticky-up bits. A friend had a BaByliss and it just didn't cut at all.

Remington next, methinks.

Reply to
PeterC

Well, it could have been something like that (cleared by the tweak of a screw), however they do seem to be a bit temperamental.

When I first used them (a couple of years ago) I remember them working ok just being loud and a bit clumsy (not delicate or refined when compared with the Remingtons).

I get them out today and initially they hardly moved at all (but weren't seized as they could be moved easily by hand). I unscrewed the main blade-anvil bit, dropped out the other cutter, blew the cobwebs off everything and put them back together again, then it sorta worked?

At least until the blade spring on the Remingtons got weak they 'just worked'.

I've given the Wahls a tweak and will get some better earplugs for next time. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Have you ever tweaked it / them though (the volume control on the side)?

Maybe if set for full volume they would be more reliable or predictable? Would you consider yours noisy? Could you hear the radio over them (without turning it up above 'normal'), like I could with the Remingtons for example?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Sfunny isn't it, I've just 'used' the Remingtons and apart from the odd clean out behind the cutters (it pops off and on v easily) and the very rare drop of oil they have just done what they should.

I wonder if this is the (a) difference between those with a real_hard_mechanical actuation (as with my Remington eccentric crank drive) and any magnetic induction jobbies?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

T i m wibbled on Saturday 03 October 2009 22:00

Once, to make it work nicely. Don't think I've toutched it since.

Mine seems happy enough. Doesn't take thick head hair in one swoop - needs a little patience - but works. Doesn't seem any noiser than one at the barbers...

Reply to
Tim W