Cutting slate tiles

I've been given a small quantity of slate tiles 300mm sq by 10mm thick.

There won't be many spare ones, so I'm keen to cut them without wastage.

What's the best way ? I have both a tile cutter and an angle grinder.

Reply to
Rolyata

When you say 'tile cutter', do you mean a flat bed one with a diamond grit disc and a water tray to lubricate the disc as it cuts? Only IMO that's what you need, and I've cut many 30cmx30cm slate tiles that way. I'll stick my neck out and say that one of those scratch-and-break things for snapping tiles in half won't work on slate tiles of 10mm thickness.

A diamond wheel wet flat-bed cutter can be yours for £40 if you haven't got one. A grinder with a stone-cutting wheel will work but you'll get lots of dust and probably inaccurate cuts.

Andy.

Reply to
andrewpreece

Never cut slate this way (although I will be soon) ... but a diamond blade on a table style (wet) tile cutter is a good idea for thicker tiles.

I have on occasion found a diamond blade on a grinder handy for the "tricky bits" on tiles too (but generally more dusty, than the fixed version).

I'd be interested to hear how you get on...

HTH,

Alex.

Reply to
AlexW

If it's an electric (diamond wheel with a water sump) tile cutter that will be fine. If not, buy one. They're super. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I've used both methods perfectly successfully. I tend to keep a jug of water for lubrication when using the angle grinder. Also, only use diamond blades. Don't waste time, tiles and effort with "conventional" blades. The hand held angle grinder lets you do weirder shapes. I also found it excellent for toning down raised corners and edges on particularly bumpy riven slate, to make a safer and more attractive floor.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I should have been a bit clearer.

The tile cutter I have is one of the scratch and snap ones. It's great for ceramic tiles, but I had my doubts about how well it would work on slate. You've confirmed those doubts.

I do have a diamond blade for my angle grinder, but it does sound like a very dusty option and might not be too neat either.

So it looks like I'll be getting a water-cooled tile cutter.

I don't want to spend a huge amount, so I'm currently looking at the

600W Ferm one from Screwfix for =A339.99, or Machine Mart's Clarke ETC6 for =A335.19

Any thoughts, suggestions or alternatives?

Reply to
Rolyata

Oh yes, it would be utterly useless.

If you aren't expecting to do any wall tiling, I'd just stick with a cheap

105mm angle grinder and diamond blade. Much cheaper (you may already have on) and very effective, if you keep it wet. Better for complicated cuts, too.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

But IMHO, much more dangerous. I'm terrified of angle grinders, whereas an electric tile cutter is a pussycat.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I have wondered if I can mount a diamond blade in a chop saw to do this sort of thing. The tile cutters where you score and crack will be useless.

Angle grinder will be hard to get a good job.

Rick

Reply to
Rick

They really need to be dipped in water for a long life when cutting stone.

I'd agree.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I've actually had nastier experiences with my tile cutter than with the angle grinder. The tile cutter has given an occasional nasty kickback (yes, I do use the riving knife), whilst the angle grinder has never given me any trouble at all. Obviously I don't stand in line with the blade.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle