Cutting question?

Problem: A sheet of chipboard (about 1/2inch) with a sheet of plastic (actually part of a skylight) above it. I want to remove about 1/2inch from the edge of the chipboard without cutting into the plastic - what do I use? I imagine current just less that 1/2inch and then carefully trimming the rest would work.

I don't have the space to get a circular saw (set to correct depth) at the chipboard and to date the best I've thought of is one of these cutters that they remove plaster casts from people's legs with (looks like a small circular saw blade on the end of a drill) - but who on earth hires those out, and what are they called if someone does?

Any suggestions? Paul DS.

Reply to
Paul D.Smith

Stanley knife and steel straight-edge. Score repeatedly 'till through, doesn't take long.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

I suppose the simplest solutions are always the best - sigh!

Thanks, Paul DS

Reply to
Paul D.Smith

Dremel, with 'router' bit on the end, and a bit of tube as a depth stop? Also, dremel does small circular saw blades for the dremel, which may suit.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Seconded. That's what I used in a similar situation. There are three kinds of 'saw' things:

1) Fibre disc; not much good here. 2) Metal/diamond disc; what I used. 3) An actual mini circular saw.

Take a look in a large B&Q to see what I mean. But don't buy them there! They were doing 2) for about 25 quid; I got it mail order for about 16 quid delivered.

Reply to
Bob Eager