Cutting Porcelain Floor Tiles

Hi all

I posted some time ago about cutting floor tiles in general.

To clarify, SWMBO fancies some porcelain jobbies - 600 x 400 x 10 thk.

Is it possible to cut these with a score and snap tiler? Whether it is possible or not, I suspect I will need a powered cutter for awkward bits at least - what models have the group tried that would work for this material and tile size?

Thanks

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

Dont know the model but I bought the cheapest electric (wet) and it done the job, just dont try and rush the tiles through when cutting as you will blunt the blade quickly. Its messy as the water flies in your face. I would also suggest cutting outdoors.

Reply to
ss

Fancy materials =3D=3D opportunity for more toys/tools

Reply to
Phil

I second all of that, I bought mine for about 40quid from Aldi. Its an overhead disc cutter mounted on a bench and has produced hundreds of accurate cuts in all manner of tiles with no bother but quite a lot of mess.

Mike

Reply to
MuddyMike

my very cheap one had a plastic guard over the blade to stop the water going anywhere but as you say did the job on both wall tiles and 10mm thick red floor tiles I was well impressed

Regards

Reply to
TMC

They mainly all do the job well enough. The size of the bed varies, so I'd get one big enough for your particular job. Ones made of steel might be more prone to rusting, given they are full of water which splashes everywhere. Make sure the blade says it is suitable for porcelain.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I did, with an angle grinder to do the odd complicated bit.

I would comment that a small number of large tiles can make a small room look even smaller, whereas a large number of small tiles can make it look bigger.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Agreed; I did the same thing - $70 over here, so about 35 quid. Noisy, messy, and the fence is dreadful - but for the amount of cuts it'll ever have to actually do it's good enough and more convenient than having to hire something better once in a blue moon. Mine's made by Qep, whoever they are; probably some box-shifting operation and the exact same saw is sold with various different company names on it.

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Yes, very well, but you do need a good strong one especially for that size.

Much quicker and quieter than the saw for simple straight cuts.

Mine's a Durher which takes 350mm blades (ebay, back in day it really turned up bargains for =A350) but that's not much help to you. It's still slow enough to make me want to score and snap where possible, although obviously sawing is a lot more versatile for fiddly bits as you say.

Reply to
Bolted