Cutting Pavers

I have been laying a bit of block paving - nothing fancy, just a few sq. metres of the garden with 50mm Brett Omega blocks - foot traffic only.

So far I have almost managed to avoid cutting them by careful choice of start positions and design. But I now need to cut some. Including a few heavy kerb blocks.

I tried bolster and club hammer. Works OK-ish but the edges/ends are a bit bumpy and uneven. Not ideal when trying to slot them into a neat space.

I tried an electric tile cutter. Very neat but had to cut both sides (and ends, for best results) as the maximum depth of cut is rather shallow. Slow. Somewhat messy. Still left a bit of a bump in the middle but acceptable.

Cormaic recommends a splitter (for most cuts). But I want to take my time and hire charges make that prohibitive. (BTW - what has happened to

I have a small (115mm) angle grinder and am thinking of using that with a suitable blade.

So - any suggestions for a) suitable blade and b) any other techniques?

Reply to
Rod

Depending on the splitter they can give variable results. The one I hired tended to cleave them rather than snap them, which did not make for a very good edge.

Don't know - I would guess a DNS glitch... (you can still get the pages on the wayback machine or google cache)

You would find it easier with a 230mm machine to be honest. A reasonable diamond blade and you are away.

You will make plenty of dust though!

When cutting, tilt the blade for a slight undercut - makes inserting them simpler.

Reply to
John Rumm

Why not buy a used splitter and sell it when you have done the job?

Reply to
Bruce

You need either a diamond blade or a carborundum disc for stone, the latter is cheaper if you only intend making a few cuts.

Cut from the top only, as far in as the blade will go, and on a slight angle, so that the bottom of the piece you require is smaller than the top so that it fits in easily. Once you've cut as far into the block as possible, tap the end with a hammer until it splits

Reply to
Phil L

Big f*ck off angle grinder with diamond blade. Minces through the stuff.

I had similar problem with sandstone slabs, After messing around days I hired one and job done in ten minutes. Cost 15 quid IIRC.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

(With appropriate blade of course)

Reply to
RW

Did that include the blade usage?

Thanks to all - still mulling. :-)

Reply to
Rod

After a weekend of the next door neighbours' builder cutting blocks with angle grinder, I would say that any other approach must be better in terms of fall out !

I'd have thought a score with the grinder then a good belt to crack 'em ( as suggested by Phil) would do fine in the absence of a splitter.

Reply to
GMM

I got a 230mm Bosch angle grinder at a knock-down price from the builder's merchant the kit included a diamond disk and it goes through paviors in seconds. Before that I used a 115mm angle grinder with diamond disks that I bought from Lidl. Cut part way through the pavior then clout with a lump hammer and bolster.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I am not sure if I will be able to do the cuts I need with a splitter. (Cormaic has a bit more experience and skill than me!)

It is difficult to see what the limits of the splitters are - can they do a diagonal across a complete block?

Many of those on ebay, for example, are collect only - and I cannot do that for most locations.

However, in different circumstances, it would be a good idea.

Reply to
Rod

That's the spirit in which I made the suggestion; for the cost of only a few days' hire, you can cover the difference between buying and selling. That's how I acquired a Tirfor. ;-)

Reply to
Bruce

Yes.they said that wear was below the minimum so charged me a fiver. the machine was 12 quid I think.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Just want to say thank you to everyone who responded.

I went to get my angle grinder (really cheap Screwfix model from several years ago - not even used!). And I found three brand new diamond blades. I have absolutely no idea where they came from - don't remember ever seeing them before and there is no-one else who might have put them there. Perplexed am I!

Anyway - I started cutting with them. Work an absolute treat. Bit noisy and dusty, but clean cuts and surprisingly quick. At the moment I am very glad it is only a 4.5 inch machine - much lighter than a 9 incher.

Fully understand all the comments about slight undercut, etc. All makes sense.

Reply to
Rod