Cutting flexible alumium duct.

Hi there,

We need to vent our new tumble dryer and we have all the necessary parts, but I was just wondering if aluminium ducting can be cut, and if there is a special way to do it.

Thanks

Reply to
David

Let me be first .... me please.

ANGLE GRINDER

Rob

Reply to
Rob G

;-)

Now seriously what is the correct way to do it?

Reply to
David

Where are you venting? Through a wall behind a grill?

If so a pair of tinsnips will be ok. Just leave the uncut end in the machine end.

advocating this item or the ratailer.

Google can do that for you.

Reply to
Clot

The machine comes with an adapter to connect the hose to the machine and the hose exits the house via a short plastic pipe, the space between the wall and the dryer is very tight which is why the hose needs shortening.

Reply to
David

Does the aluminium ducting need to have a well finished end into the plastic in the wall? What length of aluminium fits in the plastic sleeeve? Does the plastic end fit over the aluminium or the other way? If the former and these a rasonable overlap 25 to 50 mm. than I'd just cut it with snips.

Reply to
Clot

It seems that the snips will be ideal, alas I don't have any, I know I could just buy some but I don't think my Dad will be willing to buy them.

Can it be cut in any other way?

Reply to
David

Probably. Angle grinder would work! Do you have a robust pair of kitchen scissors? If the Al foil is thin these would work. Garden shears would also work but I would suggest you think about whether you know any DIY neighbours that might have tinsnips. Any guy in his 50's and beyond is likely to have them in his toolbox.

Reply to
Clot

Not tried this, but...

Make a wooden (or plastic etc..) plug for the tube that's a snug fit in it. Put tube with plug in it into a vice (or clamp to a bench). Saw through both tube and plug with hacksaw.

R.

Reply to
TheOldFellow

Thanks for your help, we have successfully cut the hose with a hacksaw.

Reply to
David

Well done.

It must be quite thick if you could use a hacksaw.

Reply to
Clot