Cutting faceplates and tiles

I have a couple of twin backboxes with single FCUs with flush, press-on metal faceplates. It would have been too much to ask for Crabtree to make the faceplates narrow enough to fit them both on, so I need to cut (or grind or sand?) a few mm off the edges.

The builders left my kitchen without properly-cut holes in the tiling to fit the mains sockets. Again, I need to cut a few mm off the tiles.

I'm not sure that I have any tools to deal with either situation. Will a Dremel perform both tasks? If not, what's best? (If not one tool, then two.)

Reply to
Antony Gelberg

ARRGGH...

I had exactly this problem last weekend... but with two lots of light switches.

I managed to bend the little threaded tabs in the back box just enough to allow the two fittings in. It must look right, because the mrs inspects everything I do in minute detail....

Reply to
Chris Styles

carbide cutter in dremel will sort the tiles

Reply to
NikV

Is there any non-power (i.e. cheap) tool that will let me cut the tiles a little while they're on the wall? Seems a shame to buy a Dremel for a few inches of trimming.

Reply to
Antony Gelberg