cut gas pipe

Fredxx snipped-for-privacy@nospam.co.uk> wrote in news:s8isah$157$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Reply to
JohnP

At 2 in the morning? That must have been quite a row!

Reply to
GB

That's the usual time for her to have calmed down from the first row before starting the second one IMHO:-)

It's deliberate.

Reply to
ARW

I like the text in red...

Reply to
Bob Eager

Much of the wiring in that house was knob and tube. I learned a fair amount about electrics, running up and down three flights of stairs fetching things for Dad while he explained what he was doing, and why.

Reply to
S Viemeister

With many boilers now being installed in airing cupboards and attics that is changing rapidly.

Reply to
Chris B

Generally easier than the water.

The valve is usually with the meter and that is accessible for reading.

The internal stopcock for the water could be anywhere, often ending up behind a cupboard or a fridge. The external one may be impossible to find (ours was never found, but a new one was installed when United Utilities had to sort a leak under the pavement).

Even if you can find either one, it can be stuck tight or fail to fully close off. Our internal one would not shut off fully and without a findable outside one, we had to close it off as much as possible and then leave a running washing machine hose dangling through the back door to deal with the remaining flow.

Once the outside one was put in, I replaced the inside one with a plastic one that is easy to open and close, should not corrode stuck and is placed in the gas meter cupboard, under the stairs, so is not hidden behind anything.

Reply to
Steve Walker

If it was outside one imagines any kind of mechanicaltool used to move earth. Normally though gas only explodes in confined spaces due to the oxygen gas mixture. Remember the old science experiment of filling a tin with gas with the lid on, then punching a hole in the bottom and lighting the gas? After a short time the mixture exploded blowing the lit off the tin. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

I have always found that water pipes sound different if tapped to gas pipes. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Yes our house had gas lights mounted on the walls in the bedrooms. We were full electric by the time I arrived

We didn't use gas but had a gas meter under the stairs (in what we called the coal hole ?). Despite the gas being disconnected there was always a pervasive smell of gas in there, My mother got fed up with it and had the whole cabose removed

Reply to
fred

We've no gas to our kitchen (meter at opp end of house) and I've never been motivated to rip up the floor throughout to sort it.

My neighbours have taken a pipe out of the meter cupboard door and run it along the floor/skirting.

Reply to
R D S

I don't think the same would be true while sawing through one under some floorboards?

Reply to
Fredxx

I don't think you can route a new gas pipe under floorboards.

Reply to
Fredxx

I'm pretty sure you can.

My understanding (not that I actually have anything to do with gas) is that a new supply pipe to the meter should not be routed under the property, but for pipes after the meter - under a suspended ground floor is fine (it is classed as a ventilated space), while, in an unventilated floor/ceiling void needs a surrounding sleeve, with one end sealed and the other end open to a ventilated space.

Reply to
Steve Walker

Bit of a dichotomy. A properly made concealed gas pipe is far less likely to get damaged than a surface run one.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Our family house (early 60's) has gas entering garage then emerging the other side of the dining room from kitchen floor but in the "wrong" place so it goes around 2 walls surface mounted behind cupboards and under sink to boiler. My Brother mistakenly presumed it was cold water feed and cut into it to put an outside tap in the garden. Presumably if one then failed to fully isolate the supply (old rusty isolation valve perhaps) and fired up a blow-torch to repair the pipe...

Reply to
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

I agree - but not necessarily appreceated by all housholders.

Reply to
JohnP

Indeed! When I moved into this house ISTR being told that the stop tap was at the back of a kitchen cupboard.

This cupboard housed a waste bin hung from the opening door. The stop tap was beneath the bottom panel of the cupboard, which could only be lifted once the bin had been removed from the door.

I got out a hole saw and cut an access hole, then had to use pliers to get enough leverage to turn the tap.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Indeed, you can.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Ok, I was wrong, but that does assume a ventilated floor space. I can safely say my floors have very little ventilation.

Reply to
Fredxx